Thread: Kali Linux Rolling NVIDIA Problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Awesome. I am not the only one with issues. I am kinda new in linux, and i am trying to install the *right* drivers for my new computer. I have a GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-GAMING-X-11G..
    https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Ge...#hero-overview

But i have not managed to install the drivers. If someone can help me out i would really really really appreciate it!
    What driver should i use???
    Could this one work?
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/118290/en-us

It's a msi card, but it might not matter. It's my first gaming computer, and i want to try and play in linux, but because i am a begginer i am taking small steps right now.
    Also, do i need to install sound card drivers and every driver in linux? I thought linux was out of the box supported. It might be, but i want my graphic card drivers anyways...
    The rest, cpu, sound, motherboard is supported in linux right? if not, i have misunderstood linux, and it might be "somewhat" like windows...
    Thanks!

Hi all. I have had this same issue for a few weeks now and like you all, I had no luck whatsoever in any of my searches. Running a desktop with a GTX 980.

That is until today. I was at the point where I was getting the "OOPS Something went wrong" message. It was even difficult for me to get to command line w/ Ctrl+ALT+F2 because the screen kept flashing so much.

Anyway, onto what fixed it for me. I had seen a lot of links going to Blackmoreops(https://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/03...-kali-linux/3/) and at a few points I went through the steps, usually ran into problems at the usual places. I read the comments starting from the most recent and came across a comment made at the end of January 2017. My experience in red.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Make sure your Kali Linux system is up to date:
    apt-get clean && apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
    Install the kernel headers:
    apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r) My response came back that the headers were already at the newest version. Edit: Ran again for shits and giggles on a fresh install and got the "could not find package" so I ran a apt-cache search linux-headers and toward the top of the output was the most recent version number and ran that: apt-get install -y linux-headers-4.12.0-kali1-amd64. Once that header installed, it all went as planned.

If you get errors like alreza jj:

Couldn’t find any package whose name or description matched “linux-headers-3.14-kali1-amd64”

make sure that the correct sources for Kali packages are referenced in /etc/apt/sources.list and that you are connected to the internet.Only had the sources listed on the kali site

Download the nVidia driver for your graphics card and save it in a location convenient to you (e.g. your home directory).I only tried 375.66 Edit: 384.69 did work as well.
    Blacklist the nouveau driver:
    make sure you have a file called “nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf” inside of [/etc/modprobe.d/]. If it’s not there, create it and paste inside…
    blacklist nouveau
    options nouveau modeset=0
    Enter the following commands in a terminal as root:
    sed ‘s/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g’ -i /etc/default/grub
    update-grub
    update-initramfs think I had to add a -u onto this command
    reboot
    If you face the login screen after reboot, do not log in but change to a terminal with Ctrl+ALT+F2.At this point I was still not able to get to a GUI login
    Kill GDM:
    service gdm3 stop
    Remove all nVidia related stuff:
    apt-get purge nvidia-*
    Navigate to the directory you downloaded the nVidia driver to.
    Make sure the driver installer (*.run) is executable:
    chmod +x NVidia…run
    Start the nVidia driver installer and follow the instructions on the screen. Let it configure your X server.
    Reboot again. You should now be fine
    ------------------------------------------------

I did a jig when it came up to the GUI login and I cheered when it actually got to the desktop. I was also able to do a nvidia-smi and I could do hashcat benchmarks to prove to me it was working.

One thing that did change between today and a few days ago is that I noticed a dist-upgrade today brought my kernel to 4.12 whereas a few days ago it would only upgrade to 4.11. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and the rambling... just so f'n happy right now. Weeks I have been workin on this.

I hope this helps someone. Good luck all^^
    Last edited by mildman1979; 2017-08-25 at 17:57.

Newest Nvidia driver succesfully installed

I hope this helps someone. Good luck all^^[/QUOTE]

Well it helped a lot...I followed your post and downloaded nvidia-384-69 driver from Nvidia site but when i tried to install it wouldn't let me...(Something about headers drm all kinds of problems) what i did was:
    First i downloaded Nvidia file to root dir :nvidia-384-69.run (77Mb) --------not exact name !!!

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get dist-upgrade -y
    apt-get install -y linux-headers-4.12.0-kali1-amd64
    apt install -y ocl-icd-libopencl1 nvidia-driver nvidia-cuda-toolkit
    update-grub
    update-initramfs
    reboot

DONT PANIC After "oh no something went wrong" screen i pressed Ctrl+alt+F2 then proceeded to Kill GDM:

service gdm3 stop
    Removed all nVidia related stuff:
    apt-get purge nvidia-*

Navigate to the directory you downloaded the nVidia driver to.(preferably root)

chmod +x nvidia-384-69.run
    sh ./nvidia-384-69.run
    it created file nvidia-384-69-custom.run

chmod +x nvidia-384-69-custom.run
    Start the nVidia driver installer and follow the instructions on the screen. Let it configure your X server.
    ./nvidia-384-69-custom.run
    update-grub
    update-initramfs

Reboot again. You should now be fine