Thread: Can't Boot Kali From FlashDrive

Question Can't Boot Kali From FlashDrive

I have a PNY flash drive (8GB) and i've downloaded kali and created a bootable flash drive with Kali using Universal USB Installer but when i change boot order something unusual happens...usually i can select my PNY flash drive from the list along with windows boot manager but this time with Kali i have to go scroll down the list to the next page by selecting Boot from Efi file where i finally find my flash drive (UUI PciRoot(0x0)USB) and i can recognize folders that have Kali's installation.. however there is nothing to boot from in those folders, for example boot folder takes me to this boot > .. . and theres nothing to boot from... please help, I'd really like to start in learning penetration testing. The attached picture below shows my exact issue! This seems to be only happening with Kali iso as other iso's i can find my flash drive and just press enter and boot that os without the need of selecting Boot from Efi file and seeing or going through folders which contain nothing. How can i boot Kali?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by questionasked1; 2016-03-25 at 09:56. Reason: Updated with two new pictures to go more into detail about this issue

use only Win32 Disk Imager or dd command to make boot usb
    before that always check sha1sum
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Thankyou for the reply. Anyways I've tried using both the dd command and Win32 Disk Imager and i still continue to get what i've said..
    Is there anything else i can try? I've tried booting from three other computers and they only do as i've said. My issue is simply in the pictures, I've even tried using a different flash drive and i still get the same issue with my usb not being listed in boot order like it should and i have to go to Boot from Efi file but i look through all the folders for example, grub takes me to grub > .. . and there's nothing to start Kali. Why is this happening? I appreciate all support and i've been looking for a similar issue online but only found one on google which i can't remember now but if i find it later i will link it here.
    Last edited by questionasked1; 2016-03-25 at 05:28.

So much for the support everyone, Anyways I've fixed the issue on my own after learning a little more about UEFI and LEGACY. I changed it to Legacy and it booted kali right up. It seems that kali has issues booting in UEFI mode. Correct me if i am wrong.

the Kali 2.0 isnt yet setup for UEFI but i made a tutorial for making it work. Steps would be same only wont need the 3rd step for the add bootia32.efi unless your unit has a 32 bit UEIF and 64bit chip like my t100ta
    see this post:
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-on-ASUS-T100T

yes you're correct. Windows uses UEFI and to use Linux you must use Legacy.

Change the boot to CSM