Thread: kali 2.0 UEFI Acer Aspire es15

kali 2.0 UEFI Acer Aspire es15

Hello friends, I'd like to thank you all in advance And I apologize for first post, I just read rules and seen not to post youtube videos, so here is updated post still asking the same question.

Kali is installing fine with no errors, but when I boot it up I come to a screen "no bootable disk"
    I've tried all sorts of different things with the setting up of the partitions, still no luck. I'm assuming its a problem with Grub. In video's i've seen there is an option to choose a different bootloader in the installation that I don't see?

I wrote the 64 bit image to USB using Linux Mint's USB image writer tool. Also the usb is formatted to FAT32 file system, which didn't give me a problem on my last laptop.

I am currently downloading the light version of kali to see if i can get that to boot up.

I just bought this laptop for the intentions of installing arch linux. In the process of installing arch linux I'm pretty sure I deleted the BIOS partition that was on the laptop, so when it boots with no OS installed on it it just goes to a black screen with the option of logging into the firmware or shutting down the computer, there is no longer any settings i can change :P Also in order for me to have installed arch I had to use a bootloader other than grub2...... So I'm wondering if making a custom ISO is my best bet, or if its a matter of how i formatted the USB?

Again, thank you all very much, your help is greatly appreciated

use only Win32 Disk Imager or dd command to make boot usb
    before that always check sha1sum
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

2 things to try 1 from what i see when looked into the bios for this unit is a option to switch to legacy bios so i'm assuming its default EIF. so try enable legacy bios as kali dosnt support without tweaks
    next try rufus and pick the ueif/bios option to make the boot usb

duxim that made no difference, but thanks for trying.

I had Arch Linux installed on the compuer in UEFI mode before I tried installing kali.
    I think what I need to do now that kali is installed but not booting, is to install and configure a different bootloader, perhaps SysLinux since that worked with Arch. If anyone has any info on installing syslinux in kali, I would appreciate it, but hopefully I can figure it out on my own.

I can boot up kali live with no issues, I can also install it with no issues (kinda :P ) just as soon as computer starts I get the "no bootable device" screen
    If i can figure this out i'll make sure to post back.

Legacy mode, UEFI with secure boot enabled or disabled still doesn't work..
    Last edited by greyvalleys; 2016-03-24 at 22:28. Reason: figured out how to get into system settings :P sorry

ahhhhh i just got into my insysdeh20 setup utility fyi, keep you guys posted

okay okay okay, soo, legacy mode doesn't do the trick either, neither does does UEFI with or without secure boot enabled, still no bootable device. I've noticed when I'm in kali live mode, gparted says all my partitions that kali is actually installed on aren't mounted, is that just because i'm in live mode?

I'm leaning towards installing syslinux bootloader being my best bet?

sorry, thunderman you were right, i just tried booting in legacy mode after installing in UEFI........ so the fix is

Switch over to legacy mode, THEN install

thankyou very much thunderman

welcome glad you got it worked out