Thread: No association MAC address with known connected devices using airodump-ng

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

No association MAC address with known connected devices using airodump-ng

I currently have a problem with obtaining encrypted passkeys via packet injection using aircrack-ng.

I am using the Linksys USB WUSB54GC wireless adaptor which is confirmed to support packet injection and complete plug-n-play compatibility with Kali. I can currently detect, connect, and use networks without any additional drivers. I am also able to set my wlan0 connection to monitor mode successfully (wlan0mon).

Currently I have a phone absolutely connected to a router receiving connection, so I know that this device should show up on airodump-ng's list as an associated device.

Here's the kicker, it's not associated. The router comes up fine, phone comes up as listed, however the phone "isn't associated" with the router.

When I run aireplay-ng in two ways, either just the router's MAC or the router AND the phone's MAC, I can never get a handshake. The phone becomes disconnected in both cases and tries to reconnect so I know it's being kicked off and jumps back on. And after I run both MACs? It THEN comes up on airodump-ng's list as associated with the router. But even then I don't get a handshake.

So even after I get the device to be kicked off and reconnected I can't get a handshake. Although... sometimes I still get a packet dump reguardless. The packet has no encrypted part in it, though.

And another weird thing, I have a friend running a similar setup (same Wifi card and Kali, but on a Raspberry Pi) and he has a similar problem. We have tried multiple ways and different sequences of connections and runnings. Even tried Fern and Reaver and they ended up being as useless as others (which I know they are partially dependent on aircrack-ng, but it was worth a try).

So if I could get some help understanding what it is that's wrong, I (we) would greatly appreciate it!
    Last edited by ben_xman; 2016-03-30 at 03:54. Reason: Typo's and grammar