Hey guys,

I attempted to install the latest version of Kali Linux today (2016.1). The first attempt failed stating that the CD was not present, I was installing via USB flash drive. Then a menu appeared with a few different options and one option said something like "locate disk and reinstall", I chose this option and voila, the installation begun without any present issues. During the installation I was asked to create a password, so I did.. this was the root password. After the installation complete and I removed my USB flash drive my laptop was reset, after everything loaded I was taken to a screen that asked for a username and password?! during the installation I was never asked to create a username or password, the only password I had to create was for root access.. which worked fine.

Why did the installation not offer me an option to create a username and password? and how was the installation successful if these were never created? I feel that because the installation originally failed and I chose again from the options provided that this method may have bypassed the options to create a username and password?