Thread: No installation option offered when booting from E2B removable flash disk.

No installation option offered when booting from E2B removable flash disk.

Hi,

Im having a hard time trying to install Kali linux alongside my Xubuntu 14.4 on my lenovo S10-3 s****y netbook. Xubuntu is already installed on the hard drive. When I try to boot the Kali linux operating system iso image file using my E2B flash drive, it automatically starts a live session and never gets me to the installation screen. Is there any way to install it straight from the kali linux/xubuntu enviroment - including splitting the partition on which the Xubuntu is already installed (currently there is just one EXT4 partition along with 2048MB swap on my 160GB HDD)? Im quite new to linux, this is my first thread ever plus Im not a native english speaker, so please, be easy on me guys...

Any information you need in addition to this - please, feel free to ask.

Thank you in advance for all of your responses.

Hey,

You will need to create a partition from within your Xubuntu OS.

First you will need the same version of Xubuntu on a USB flash drive or CD so you can boot into live Xubuntu. When you have booted into Xubuntu live you can then open GParted. Find your main HDD space usually /dev/sda1, right click on it and choose the resize/move option. Now create your partition to a desired size. It can take a very long time depending on the size of the new partition, it took around six hours to split my 1tb HDD in half.

Make sure to back up everything before going into live and splitting the HDD.

Also, make sure that your laptop is booting up from CSM and not UEFI, if it is, enter your bios menu and change the boot option to CSM.
    Last edited by Cryptic-F; 2016-04-11 at 15:48.