Thread: Unable to Install AMD ATI Proprietary fglrx Driver on Kali Linux Rolling 2016.1

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Angry Unable to Install AMD ATI Proprietary fglrx Driver on Kali Linux Rolling 2016.1

Hi Kali 2016.1 / Linux Gurus

Yes this is a reoccurring thread, I’ve having problems installing ATI drivers / Catalyst on Kali. I’ve found all previous solutions and guides no longer work, only one guide I’ve found covers Kali 2.0 Sana and almost all of the advised packages no longer exist/not available. So apologies for raising this topic from the dead on this new version on Kali.

My Goal : Getting oclhashcat to work with my 2x Radeon R9 295 X2 - PCI-E Graphics cards. In Kali 1.09, I could crack about 500,000 WPA passwords p/s, a dream compared to the 2000 p/s from my i7 CPU.

Fresh install of the latest version (to date) of Kali Rolling – goes smoothly, no errors what so ever on my Asus Sabertooth X58.

Both monitors work off each graphics card fine, right out of the box, infact, better than Kali 1.09 as I didn’t crack having dual displays…but now I have dual screens….so I suspect there are some kind of drivers already installed with Kali 2016.1.

I confirmed Kali can see the graphics cards this with :

pyrit list_cores

Pyrit 0.4.0 (C) 2008-2011 Lukas Lueg http://pyrit.googlecode.com
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3+

The following cores seem available...
    #1: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #2: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #3: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #4: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #5: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #6: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #7: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #8: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'

I can install the latest version of oclhashcat 2.01 fine via

apt-get install oclhashcat

Trying oclhashcat cracking from the start results in a Segmentation fault :

oclHashcat -m 2500 CapFile.hccap rockyou.txt --force --gpu-temp-retain=55 --gpu-temp-abort=79

Segmentation fault

After my previous installs and a bit of googling, the problem points to the obvious – lack of the AMD/ATI Catalyst Graphics card driver install.

I’ve followed these various guides – all which fail in Kali 2016.1:

For Kali 1.0.6 : http://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/03/...linux-1-0-6/2/

For Kail 2.0 (Sana) : http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...-kali-2-0-sana

For Kali 1.x : http://www.blackmoreops.com/2013/10/...ali-linux-1-x/

Kali Linux 2.0 : https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/t...driver-install

I get stuck at the very first stages of all these guides (and others not listed), seems obvious seeing at they are all based on old versions. I either head issues or non-existent fglrx packages, missing version.h files, ATI install not finding the correct headers in the first place etc.

So where I’ve got to :

Fresh install (6-7th time)
    Note : current headers

linux-headers-$(uname -r) = 4.3.0-kali1-amd64

Located : /lib/modules/4.3.0-kali1-amd64

Attempting to install Catalyst_15.7.tar.gz (sh ati-installer.sh 15.20 --install) results in lots of files not found in the error log, such as :

Located : /lib/modules/4.3.0-kali1-amd64/build/include/linux/version.h

To accompany this lovely error :

Please Install the required pre-requisites before proceeding with AMD Proprietary Driver Installation.
    Install the required pre-requisites before installing the fglrx driver. Optionally, run the installer with the –force option to install without the tools
    Forcing the install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.

And its right, trying to –force delivers a blank screen on reboot….yay…another layer of issues to resolve to get back to the original issue…yay….I rebuilt the machine instead

Trying to install the fglrx pre-requisites prior to the install results in lots off unfound packages

apt-get install fglrx-atieventsd fglrx-driver fglrx-control fglrx-modules-dkms –y

Attempting to resolve this by installing the headers :

apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) = no such packages
    apt-get install linux-headers-4.3.0-kali1-amd64 = no such packages
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade –y = great

now I have :
    /lib/modules/4.3.0-kali1-amd64
    /lib/modules/4.4.0-kali1-amd64

Rerunning the ATI install again, and it appeared to only ever find the 4.3 folder first and complains of missing files and folders again, completely ignoring them in the 4.4 folder.

Creating a symbolic link from 4.3 to 4.4 to trick the install into being redirected to the correct folder didn’t seem to help (this resulted in a bad install and thus a rebuild). But I overcame this issue in the end by doing clean-up the old headers and rebooting it so it doesn’t fail/look in the wrong folder:

apt-get remove 4.3.0-kali1-amd64
    apt-get purge 4.3.0-kali1-amd64
    apt-get autoremove
    apt-get autoclean
    shutdown -r now

Probably OTT, but once back up, only this path exists :

/lib/modules/4.4.0-kali1-amd64

The ATI install starts nicely now without the pre-req error or moaning at me about the lack of fglrx, but it introduces me to a brand new brick wall to hit in the error log :

Check if system has the tools required for installation.
    fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers. /lib/modules/4.4.0-kali1-amd64/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
    One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver

And its true, /linux/version.h in that path does not exist in the 4.4 headers…rebooting leads to a bank screen which leads to a rebuild.

So I guess my first hurdle is to get the correct version.h installed prior to the ATI install WITHOUT copying it from /usr/include/linux/version.h (that ended badly for me also…rebuild :-s)

Any help or guidance for a complete Linux novice would be greatly appreciated in getting ATI drivers to install so I can move to the next step toward oclhashcat’ing  - Based on all the guides out there, next steps are SDK install, Pyrit install (even though its already there and works), Cal++ install etc

Once I’ve nailed it in a step by step process, I’ll post my own guide.

Many Thanks in advance for any help and happy to share any screenshots requested.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Update : 03/04/16] - a few more hours of googleing and research against "ATI Drivers for Kernel 4.4" and digging into the latest supported kernels from ATI.com, I seem to find that the highest supported Linux Kernel is 3.19 (rubbish!)

I did find this page which claimed that a script made the drivers compatible with kernel 4.5...but my high hopes were crushed when the script failed.

https://lizards.opensuse.org/tag/fglrx/

Next attack : I found an old copy of Kali 2.0 with kernel 4.0, I'll see if I can get that working with oclhashcat and then do an upgrade....
    Last edited by Mr_Kci; 2016-04-03 at 15:31. Reason: update