Thread: Kali on Dell inspiron 15 (5558)

Kali on Dell inspiron 15 (5558)

Hello everyone,

I just bought a new pc, it came with windows 10, and I wanted to dualboot it with kali, which I need for work (can't be on VM). The thing is, I turned on legacy, turned of secure boot, and disabled fast boot, then booted kali install from usb, and proceded to install kali as usual(I've done it like 4 times in the past). The only problem I found was that when asked to install the grub, it said no other OSs where found, but that if I did have others, I could set them up later on kali grub config. So I accepted, and the instalation finished.
    The thing is, when I reboot, no bootable media is found, however, if I check the partition, the files are there. I simply can't access Kali. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and could lend me a hand. If im missing any important information tell me and Ill post it as soon as I can.

Thanks.

when you have those problems with boot then try to fix it with some tools like
    boot repiar cd, easy bcd (from windows)... maybe you can install one more OS like ubuntu and fix those problem
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

hey, thanks, but sadly its not working. I made a small space and installed ubuntu, but still no grub showing.
    I tried easybcd, but It says since Im booting from Efi, it wont work properly. The thing is If I boot legacy, it does not find a bootable device, not even windows.

I also have the same problem.
    I researched and lot and found that maybe our kali certificates are not matching with our bios.

Ditto here... thought maybe some additional obs.
    New Inspiron 7559.
    Fastboot off, Secure Boot Disabled, Legacy on.

MY first attempt at installing Kali (USB - Graphical Install); I got as far as the installer telling me that I needed some additional wifi firmware.
    At that point I quit the install and went off to find the drivers I needed.

After that exit, I could no longer boot normally into windows.
    "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.61 (01/07/15)"
    "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable"
    "PXE-M0F : Exiting PXE REOM."
    "Reboot and select proper boot device..."

I returned to try installing KALI again after loading my missing firmware onto a USB drive.
    Unfortunately the installer could not find the 2nd USB drive to load the fw; so I continued anyway.
    Partitioned with the 'separate home' option.

Just like the OP, the installer told me that it could not find any other OS on the machines.
    Different to OP, I declined the MBR option; but on the next step it asked me to select drive, and I selected my HDD.
    Install completed, but I cannot boot into Kali, and to get to windows I have to F12 and select 'Windows Boot Manager'

Just booting on it's own give me the texts above about media not found.

I've not given up researching, but I'm new to all this, it will take a long time !
    > Is this a 'Dell' thing ? Or a Kali thing ? or a 'noob' thing ?

Update : re-did my install.
    Deleted previous partitions, Inc 1mb boot.
    Recreated partition.
    This time I said yes to the MBR option.

Now when I boot.....
    Still get err messages as before up to "exiting pxe ROM", but then Kali grub kicks in.

After entering root pass, it let me into Kali proper, once. Every time after that, just a black/grey screen & a frozen mouse pointer.

Maybe that's where I go start a new thread.... but just wanted to update this one in case it helps.

There is a solution for this just make live USB using universal USB installer and paste the file that I provide -- in the usb