Thread: No desktop Menus after first install

No desktop Menus after first install

Note:I dont have a camera so Ill just explained it. Thank YOU!

Ive downloaded the torrent Kali Linux 32 bit, placed the iso on my flash using Win32DiskImager, Partitioned my Drive with 10GB, done verifying SHA1SUM, Followed many install guides which are almost the same, searching the same problem that i have here in the forum and in google with no result, and already installed twice.

As the title showed, there is no desktop menus only a gray background and my logon seems to be fine. The f1 to f9 shortcuts are the only ones functioning. While installing Kali Linux from flashdrive, my USB Wifi Adapter was on the hub, is this the cause? Is there something Ive missed? Updates? Commands? Drivers? Bug??

Please Help!

Hi, I'm having the same exact problem. I downloaded a 32 bit version of Kali from the website and burnt the iso onto a dual layered dvd. The installation went off without a hitch. The problem is when I log in, kali gives me a gui to log in but after I enter my credentials it just sits there with a grey screen and a cursor I can move around. I can access the shell via the ctrl+alt+f3 command. I have done a variety of apt-get commands and still nothing. Another detail I should add is that I am trying to dual boot kali and win10.

My Computer Specs
    Processor 1.90 GHz
    RAM 2.94 GB
    32 bit OS
    (it's a 9 year old laptop, please don't laugh)
    Any help on this topic would be appreciated! Thank you!

Edit: I've been trying to get Kali to work all day but to no avail. I've tried dual layered dvds, dvdr, and usb. I've also re-downloaded Kali twice to make sure it wasn't a bad download. Through my fiddling I have found out that I can not get Kali Live to load from a dvd/usb. It just takes me right to the grey screen with the mouse cursor. Seems like something in my computer doesn't like Kali. Hope this bit of info helps narrow down the problem.
    Last edited by BluThoth; 2016-04-09 at 03:19.