I have heard the black screen issue is an easy fix however the HP stream is presenting a real challenge and no guides as so far have managed to cover my unique issues.

Problem:

As you may suspect the grub loads up as normal, the text rolls down the screen for a moment, the font switches to terminus for a half second longer...poweroff, recovery mode is the same just more verbose, unfortunately I cannot print screenshots as the text is moving too fast.

The reason why normal guides to fix this issue have not worked are manifold, mainly the black screen triggers a power-down of the system, the BIOS has no video cards as I'm working with a tablet, if there's a graphics issue, it just shuts the thing off.

What I am trying to do:

I need to fix the black screen of death, at least stop it from powering down the system, I think I need to set up grub rescue to correctly use the correct graphics system, I am a beginner to grub programming and lack a lot of general systems knowledge, these problems are how we learn mind.

what I have tried:

I can now access grub recovery however the strangest thing, adding nomodeset to the boot options then booting used to have the boot hang with the error "can't access tty: job control turned off" but a few attempts later and it simply ignores the change!

I have also tried to find my graphics driver and added the line "i915.modeset=0" this also used to work, but stopped later

I have also tried changing the resolution following various guides, still no 'luck'

Why Kali linux:

I have tried a handfull of distros, not all of them allow EFI boot and ubuntu, lubuntu, linux mint, debian (all 32 bit) have crashed booting up, 64bit versions dont even boot, arch would be best but I am a beginner and I struggle to follow the guide to make a EFI bootable USB, amazingly Kali linux has worked, however only on one of two identicle HP stream 7s

Distro:

I have had to borrow the EFI boot files from a fedora distro (the latest fedlet) and edit the grub file as in this tutorial (https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...all-Kali-Linux)

I am using a 32 bit version of Kali linux as the main OS - 2016.1 iso on a usb, this is not ideal I know, but it is the only thing that has worked

The HP Stream uses an atom chip, here are its specs

PROCESSOR
Type Atom
64-bit Computing Yes
Number of Cores Quad-Core
Processor Number Z3735G
Manufacturer Intel
Clock Speed 1.8 GHz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Graphics Accelerator Intel HD Graphics

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DISPLAY
Touchscreen Multi-Touch
Multi-Touch Display Yes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PROCESSOR
Type Atom
64-bit Computing Yes
Number of Cores Quad-Core
Processor Number Z3735G
Manufacturer Intel
Clock Speed 1.8 GHz
MEMORY
Storage 32 GB eMMC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NETWORKING
Wireless Connectivity Bluetooth 4.0, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Localization English
EXPANSION AND CONNECTIVITY
Expansion Slots 1 x microSD
Interfaces 1 x headphones mini jack (3.5mm)
1 x Micro-USB

~~~~~~~~~~

RAM
Technology DDR3L SDRAM
Installed Size 1 GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

FLASH MEMORY
Installed Size 32 GB
Form Factor Embedded MultiMediaCard

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GRAPHICS SYSTEM
Graphics Accelerator Intel HD Graphics

-im confused to the 64 bit capable deal, its an atom chip so they use 32 bit software on 64 bit hardware to save money in some way, people are talking about this a lot at the moment, some believe its a conspiracy to make it harder to install linux!-

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-stre...32-gb-7/specs/