Thread: Kalli and teh concept of what it is supposed to do.

Kalli and teh concept of what it is supposed to do.

I have posted a couple of threads asking for help getting Kali to work on a Ras Pi 2 B and am really not getting anywhere fast.

But these problems as I see them come under the general cover of Kali rather than the specific sub section of Raspberry Pi.

A few questions about kali:
    1 - It is supposed to be a penetration testing system, right? Not for "general use", and there is only ONE user - root - on the system.
    Question: If so, why is wireshark included in the package? When I run it, after a bit of fluffing around, the program (Wireshark) comes up and says something to the end that: This is not supposed to be run from SUPERUSER you must run it from a NON SUPERUSER account.
    Pretty difficult if there is only one log in/account.

2 - It supports a lot of connection types, like Ethernet, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc so it is a real good platform to test just about any system. (With the right stuff plugged in, of course.)
    Question: So why is it that reading through some of the pages of stuff, I see that bluetooth is LOCKED OUT and not usable?
    Question: As I am using a R Pi, I researched WiFi dongles and the EDIMAX 7811 was popular for general RPI WiFi stuff and so I bought some.
    I plug it in and do a LSUSB command and see it, then do a LSMOD and see the drivers loaded. Well, I hope they are.
    So, I want to do some WiFi stuff. All the air*-ng commands say the error about "no device found (-19)" kind of error. Not really helping.
    Some of the air* commands, like airlist-ng which gets a mention, it says "COMMAND NOT FOUND" which is really off putting.
    After hours of searching I find commands I need to enter to "setup" the WiFi (wlan0) to be able to use it. Or so I thought.
    These commands are to set up a WiFi connection to a KNOWN NETWORK with a KNOWN KEY.
    That is rather stupid if the machine/OS is ...... designed for penetration testing. The idea is you MAY know the network name, but the KEY, well, that's just getting too hopeful.
    Then the frustration is further compounded because I was never told I have to do the command:
    IFCONFIG WLAN0 UP to get the wlan0 side of things (slightly more) working.
    However, all the commands still insist that there is no device found.

3 - There are a few different MODES in which Kali can be run.
    Question: While mucking about trying to get the WLAN0 working, I discovered that the machine was in KIOSK MODE. I think that was made evident when I was trying to set things on the main screen, and when I rebooted I was told that there were changes made and I should save them but when it rebooted it said it couldn't load them because it was in KIOSK MODE.
    More searching and I was told I had to go to a directory and delete all the files and it would then boot not in KIOSK MODE. This didn't happen. It still says/implies it is because of these errors which appear when booting about changes which can't be done while in KIOSK MODE.

4 - There is more to the WiFi world than air*-ng commands. There are also IW commands.
    None of them really explain much and are not helpful when trying penetration testing on a WiFi network either. Half those commands say "No device found (-19)"

5 - Which image to download/install?
    (This has been resolved but only after extreme head collision with the brick wall multiple times)
    I went to the site where "all the images are" and scrolled to the Rasp Pi. There are a few of them.
    2 of which are both called the same (basically). One is 1.1 Gig, and one is 1.6 Gig.
    The 1.6 Gig image gets to the log on screen and then LOCKS UP. I can SSH into the machine, but that is of little use doing things that way. The 1.1 Gig image boots, but is so "out dated" that an update/upgrade is needed to get things half working.

I don't mind putting in the time to learn about things, but it just seems beyond belief that from what I am seeing: Most of the OS is "missing".

There is no LEAF PAD (or equivalent) to view text files from the GUI.

Although there is little resolution for anyone seeking help here - other than which image to download - I hope other people with similar problems can help push for some better help for people like "us" who are new to this and need help. Not because we are lazy, but because the whole thing is not really well put together.

First off, I've never used a raspberry pi with Kali, so I can't speak to that. Only run it installed on desktop/laptop PCs. However, maybe I can answer some of your other questions in the context of my experience. I've been using Kali (and BackTrack before that) since the BackTrack 2 days.

It is a pen-testing system, intended for single user, root access. Kali packages together a number of tools, and some of these tools don't always expect to be run as root. That's why Wireshark throws that warning.

Can't speak to Bluetooth, as I've never had a need to test that.

Yes, the wi-fi world is more than the aircrack-ng suite. However, it's become the de-facto standard for wireless testing. There are some other tools available, but aircrack is the best for my needs.

Kali is a VERY customized distro: basic linux stuff is there, but nice things packaged with other distros may not be. I often run dpkg --list, if I'm unsure about the presence of a specific tool/command I need. To figure out problems, I'll check for man pages, anything in /usr/share/doc, examine tool source, go to tools.kali.org, etc.

Hope this helps!

Hey Grid.

Yeah, I understand a lot of that. But it still amazes/confuses me about the type of problem/s I have.

I have heard of the IW set of commands and I have tried them. They give the same errors about "device not found" ****.

As I explained, "originally" it was more simply the Pi and so I did the digging in and found the EDIMAX and the most popular dongle. So I got it.

Now on this build it is nothing but problematic. I shall have to check and maybe try to refresh/download "newer" drivers.

I am *NEW* to the whole LINUX idea, though I do like it, it is confusing and talking to some people they are just so...... unhelpful while trying/pretending to be helpful it is just not helping me.

Sure I don't mind putting in the effort to learn, but when the whole thing is unknown, it is a bit difficult knowing where to start.

The AIRCRACK-NG suite which is mentioned sounds great. Ok, it is not "standard" in Linux and so is taken as ADDED.

The original image I got which did boot/work was so under developed it is nearly pitiful. So I did the usual update/upgrade and waited and waited. The result was good.

But half the AIRCRACK-NG commands are MISSING! AIRLIST-NG (to list the drivers) yields COMMAND NOT FOUND.

As I am not good with how these things interact, does that meant I have to "apt-get install airlist-ng" because I think I tried that and it doesn't work. Possibly because I am not looking in (or using) the right repository.

I am really wanting to get this up and working as I have a direct need for it to help upskill myself, but it seems to be setting me back rather than helping me at this point.

First off, let me applaud you for taking on such a daunting task! For someone who is new to linux to take on Kali, that is quite a handful. Even those who are more experienced with other linux distros can find Kali difficult.

That being said, I'll suggest going back a couple steps. Try getting familiar with Kali on a desktop/laptop installation. Just the basics, with a compatible wi-fi card.

Well, maybe, but it would be nice to learn the commands to load the drivers.

I have found a bundle of drivers and am trying to install them. It is just that the .sh file will not run because it says the version is "too new" and tells me to do it via the WiFi-GUI. That isn't really easy for me and so I have the drivers (I hope) but not enough knowledge to install them.