Thread: Macchanger and Reaver association problem in Kali 2

Unhappy Macchanger and Reaver association problem in Kali 2

Hi. I can't get this to work ever since Kali 2 came out.
    Every time I change mac, reaver fails to associate with the AP and I can't figure out what the problem is.

ifconfig wlan0 down
    macchanger -a wlan0 ( random generated mac is let's say: 00:04:16:0b:12:44 )
    iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor; ifconfig wlan0 up
    reaver -vv -i wlan0 -b mac:of:the:AP:here -g 1 -m 00:04:16:0b:12:44
    [!] WARNING: Failed to associate with mac:of:the:AP:here (ESSID: essid:of:the:AP:here)
    [!] WARNING: Failed to associate with mac:of:the:AP:here (ESSID: essid:of:the:AP:here)

also tried this:

ifconfig wlan0 down
    macchanger -a wlan0 ( random generated mac is let's say: 00:04:16:0b:12:44 )
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    airmon-ng check kill; airmon-ng start wlan0
    reaver -vv -i wlan0mon -b mac:of:the:AP:here -g 1 -m 00:04:16:0b:12:44

with no results

Everything returns to normal as soon as I revert to the default MAC of the adapter using macchanger -p

The router is in my room, 6ft away from me, it has no mac filtering and I'm using awus036h

Thank you for your help
    Last edited by magatyb; 2016-04-11 at 16:32.

had the same problem. i solved it in the simplyest way... changed the distro. any other linux OS works, but kali won't. so.. you figure it out. happy macchanging

The "Failed to associate" issue is normally resolved by adding -A to your command line.

-A tells it not to associate at all. I know that, but that's not the solution.