Thread: Not able to install kali on my Asus ROG

Question Not able to install kali on my Asus ROG

Ive got a Asus ROG gl552vw-dh71 with 16gb of ram, intel i7, Nvidia 960m, and a 1 tb HDD running windows 10 64 Uefi.

I want to dual boot windows and kali linux rolling edition of my machine but I'm having issues with the bios and uefi set up. Ive tried a bunch of things with the bios and etc. Ive looked for the past few days for a solution and tried out the solutions but nothing. Ive tried the fedora boot loader solution, ive tried using usb install process, cd, dvd, using different loaders like unebootin, win32disk, and a few other ones. Ive changed secure boot, csm, legacy and more but i cant figure out how to get kali to install. The farthest ive gotten was past the (Install, live boot, and etc graphic menu). then when i select install or graphic install it shows a blank screen and the usb/ disk drive turn off. Then when i try the live boot it shows a bunch of lines of text and then turns off the usb or disk drive. Im not sure what the issue it. This is a fairly new laptop and all the info i find are for windows 7-8 from a few years ago. The bios is different from older versions of asus rogs and its running windows 10. Thank you for reading and helping me figure out how to install kali!

I would keep the boot option in CSM rather than UEFI to run any linux OS. To me it sounds like a defect within the burned ISO on your flash drive, I would format the flash drive eradicating everything on it and then download a fresh copy of the Kali ISO via torrent: https://www.kali.org/downloads/

When you have the new ISO, burn it again to your freshly formated USB flash drive. This may provide some help: http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install

Do you currently have a USB flash drive capable of running Kali live?

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic-F View Post
    I would keep the boot option in CSM rather than UEFI to run any linux OS. To me it sounds like a defect within the burned ISO on your flash drive, I would format the flash drive eradicating everything on it and then download a fresh copy of the Kali ISO via torrent: https://www.kali.org/downloads/

When you have the new ISO, burn it again to your freshly formated USB flash drive. This may provide some help: http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install

Do you currently have a USB flash drive capable of running Kali live?
    Ya Ive got 3 usb drives with kali 2 kali rolling and my friend has an usb with kali rolling all 3 worked on other computers but not my computer and im not sure why. Its not a defective iso. Its more like my laptop is not allowing me to install kali. And i did change it to CSM to install/live boot kali but neither work.

I tested some settings Csm on with pxe on and i got a "snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: failed to add i915 component master(-19)" Error and I'm new to using intel and nvidia. All my previous machines were all full amd. So Im guessing this error has something to do with the intel graphics and nvidia graphics? But idk the bios doesnt cover much for graphics.

I also have multiple usb and dvds so its not a defected ios. And like i said Ive already looked for the past few days on how to fix it and i read the install and everything. And yes all my usb bootables work. Its something with the Bios or the graphics.

SAME PROBLEM WITH ASUS Zenbook pro

Quote Originally Posted by Ethoward View Post
    Ive got a Asus ROG gl552vw-dh71 with 16gb of ram, intel i7, Nvidia 960m, and a 1 tb HDD running windows 10 64 Uefi.

I want to dual boot windows and kali linux rolling edition of my machine but I'm having issues with the bios and uefi set up. Ive tried a bunch of things with the bios and etc. Ive looked for the past few days for a solution and tried out the solutions but nothing. Ive tried the fedora boot loader solution, ive tried using usb install process, cd, dvd, using different loaders like unebootin, win32disk, and a few other ones. Ive changed secure boot, csm, legacy and more but i cant figure out how to get kali to install. The farthest ive gotten was past the (Install, live boot, and etc graphic menu). then when i select install or graphic install it shows a blank screen and the usb/ disk drive turn off. Then when i try the live boot it shows a bunch of lines of text and then turns off the usb or disk drive. Im not sure what the issue it. This is a fairly new laptop and all the info i find are for windows 7-8 from a few years ago. The bios is different from older versions of asus rogs and its running windows 10. Thank you for reading and helping me figure out how to install kali!

I'm using Asus Zenbook pro my specs are 16 gb ram intel i7 nvidia 960m and 512 ssd with win10 with 3840x2160 display and I'm also stuck when I tried to install kali linux but i can use it from a usb or vmware. I also tried ubuntu and manjaro and they worked fine. I think that there is a problem with kali linux. I had a asus x550cc and i installed kali linux on it as my main operating system and it just worked. That laptop also had intel + nvidia combination. So thank you for trying to find a solution for both of us. I also contacted with asus usa service and they just said we are not responsible for non-windows stuff and they have linux and mac section on their support list. So this forum is the only place we can hopefully find a solution.
    By the way what if we created a custom kali linux iso with the latest kernel? I don't know how to create custom iso with custom kernel so I'm hoping that you guys can help me?

Quote Originally Posted by pirate x View Post
    I'm using Asus Zenbook pro my specs are 16 gb ram intel i7 nvidia 960m and 512 ssd with win10 with 3840x2160 display and I'm also stuck when I tried to install kali linux but i can use it from a usb or vmware. I also tried ubuntu and manjaro and they worked fine. I think that there is a problem with kali linux. I had a asus x550cc and i installed kali linux on it as my main operating system and it just worked. That laptop also had intel + nvidia combination. So thank you for trying to find a solution for both of us. I also contacted with asus usa service and they just said we are not responsible for non-windows stuff and they have linux and mac section on their support list. So this forum is the only place we can hopefully find a solution.
    By the way what if we created a custom kali linux iso with the latest kernel? I don't know how to create custom iso with custom kernel so I'm hoping that you guys can help me?
    My friend has an asus x550 and he was able to install kali rolling edition no problems. I tried his usb with the kali on it and the usb does the same as mine. So right now im stumped on what to do. Creating a custom kali iso might be possible, tho for my issue its more like the bios preventing me to install kali.

I installed Kali rolling on my zenbook without any issues.
    Try to disable secure boot and enable "launch csm"
    If you want to dual boot, just note that enabling "launch csm" is basically enabling legacy boot mode, so it will affect booting your current windows installation.
    You need to disable secure boot before you can enable the launch csm option
    Bios -> Security -> Secure boot menu -> Secure boot control -> disabled
    and then
    Bios -> Boot -> Launch csm -> enabled
    Last edited by Zipkoppie; 2016-04-13 at 10:49.

Okay so I was doing some more testing and it does seem like when my Asus rog boots something like in this situation the Kali install, all the usb ports turn off sorta like a refresh i guess? But when i try to load kali the usb ports all turn off. I figured this out when i was trying the install and the laptop lagged a tiny bit and caused me to get to the language selection then froze there cause the usb power turned off. Now Ive searched the bios and i could not find a single thing on the usb powering on and off like this. Also another thing i know when i tried the live boot id see this "usb port power management may be unreliable". But what if its my usb 3.1 type c port the reason why the two usb 3 SS and single usb 2 cause them all to refresh on boot?

My Asus rog has DDR4 16gb ram, the intel i7 6th gen (skylake), and the usb 3.1 type c port, could this be why Im having issue?

Note:
    The usb does boot i know it does cause I tried it on my desktop (Amd fx 6300 6 core cpu, 16 gb ram, and msi r7 370 4g) and had no issues with install or live boot.

I have an older rog laptop and I am able to install fine. I did have some trouble in the beginning but now that I know the correct BIOS settings it works every time. For me I ha e to make sure secure boot is off. Fast boot is off. Launch csm on. If you still have trouble maybe try asking at the rog forums. They have been very helpful for me in the past and they know our computers very well. Good luck...

I just solved the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ethoward View Post

Try using nouveau.modeset=0 when booting kali. In the grub menu chose graphical install and press tab and enter the code and press enter. You should be successfully get into kali. This code also solves the problem about stuck in gnome login screen. Hope this method works for you.

Hi Ethoward,

I have the same problem on my Asus Rog 752. Could you fix this problem?

Hi guys,

I also have a problem when trying to live boot on my ASUS ROG.
    After selecting Live in the EFI menu, it starts boting and stops after a few seconds around these messages:

usb: failed to peer usb2-port3 and usb1-port2 by location
    usb usb2-port3: failed to peer to usb1-port2 (-16)
    usb: port power management may be unreliable

I tried all of my usb ports, but same thing happens.
    Fast boot, secure boot are disabled, launch csm is enabled.

If you have any ideas, been stuck there for 2 days...

EDIT: Tried again with another usb stick: same issue. Here is a picture of the screen (sry bad quality, had to take it with my phone)
    http://imgur.com/a/CB60u
    Last edited by Scaum; 2016-08-05 at 18:12.

Same laptop Same issue... Please Help

I also have this same laptop and having the same problem. At this point I would be happy with just being able to install Kali without dual boot. The main reason that I bought this laptop was to install Kali on it. As of right now I have tried all of the suggestions given in this thread to no avail. I have done at least 30 hours of research trying to figure this issue out and still have not been able to. When I get to the installation menu and choose Graphical Install it goes to a black screen as mentioned above but mine also says " snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: failed to add i915 component master (-19)." And what I learned is that i915 is the intel graphics driver. I am completely stumped. If anyone can figure this out and let me know, I will be more than happy to send you a decent sum of cash. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

So i found a solution! After weeks of research and troubleshooting in my free time off of work. So what i did is use Rufus to load Kali on to a USB drive and i also loaded Kali on a DVD too, I went to the bios and edited it turned off fast boot and turned on CSM, then i boot over ride after restarting and selected the USB drive that was NOT labeled UEFI because the uefi was a part of the reason why it was messing up, then when you boot it you see the options at the grub and highlighted over the install (non-graphical) and hit tab and after the list of commands that were automatically there i hit the space bar once and put in "acpi=off" without quotes and hit enter and the install worked, tho it does take a little longer to install and stuff and when you boot into Kali the touch pad doesn't work or the keyboard back-light work, and to boot back into windows you do not want to boot windows 10 from the grub because it'll give you an error saying windows cant boot you have to boot windows using the windows boot manager in the bios and i suggest you change the boot order to windows loader first and then the hard drive it self because Kali puts the grub on the harddrive but the bios only sees the windows loader and not the grub loader so you have to boot kali by selecting the harddrive it self and windows is the windows boot partition unless you go through and redo windows and kali on the hard drive. Now all of Kali's features do work, I've been looking into how to get the touch-pad to work which is most likely just needs a driver or something, and from what ive seen the same method works with other Linux distributions too.

Most Asus computers, at least the new ones, have hardware issues, as well as the Nvidea card issues. If it's just a card issue, there is a couple of ways to bi-pass the error messages and continue to run.

If it's the hardware that is the issue, which will happen with Asus desktops that are newer, the only thing you can do is wait for support for your hardware through kali. There are additional options out there, but i'm unsure if they'll work either like parrot and blackarch.

I just ended up purchasing a cheap laptop, as the hardware was a lot older so kali had no issues with booting whatsoever.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by pirate x View Post
    Try using nouveau.modeset=0 when booting kali. In the grub menu chose graphical install and press tab and enter the code and press enter. You should be successfully get into kali. This code also solves the problem about stuck in gnome login screen. Hope this method works for you.
    Wow that worked. I've been looking for a fix for days! I've been using acpi=off this whole time and it was doing annoying things like way smaller screen resolution, touchpad on my lap top wasn't working (had to use a wireless mouse) and other annoying crazy things!

Code:
    nouveau.modeset=0
    works perfectly! Thanks man
    Last edited by Mightypro; 2016-11-30 at 11:01. Reason: Foul Language