Thread: Trouble installing / running on old Toshiba Laptop

Question Trouble installing / running on old Toshiba Laptop

Fairly newb here, dabbled in various linux distros a few times and been tinkering with Kali for few days using Live DVD on my windows PC, runs perfectly booting live on PC (64bit version)

But i enjoying tinkering with Kali so much i wanted to have a more permanent machine, and for learning purposes be able to use my normal PC at same time for tutorials etc. So dug out a spare old laptop from back of the cupboard and thought it would be ideal to fully install Kali and learn proper on it. Its a about 10yrs or more old this laptop but power wise im sure it should run? Its a Toshiba Protege laptop, 2.5ghz Mobile Celeron, 750gb RAM, 30gb HDD, originally built for Windows XP, but does just run Windows 7 32bit.

So i downloaded the 32bit Kali and fired up the laptop planning to run it live from disc first. Weird things happen, if i select top live option it goes through all the scrolling text of loading for 2-3mins and looks to be going well, until it finally stops half way down page and then very bizarrely the the whole screen scrolls from left to right and continues too, yup ACROSS the screen, not up/down.. So im guessing some display driver issue? Although surely it would still load up but look wrong if display driver, whereas this just does the weird scrolling and no more disc activity happens, its just dies there.

If i choose to boot live (failsafe) it again starts loading up for 2-3mins but this time the screen just ends up black with cursor flashing top left corner, but although cursors there i cant type anything at all?

Finally as i want it installed anyway, i have tried "graphic install" a few times now, all starts ok, go through region and date options etc, then i get a non-free firmware warning (Broadcom wifi i think) but i skip there and continue with install (can fix drivers once installed), go through the partition options and select install to system. It starts copying files to disc.....
    After 5-6min i get a screen saying failed to install, something about part of install failed, part=failed install.

I have run through both versions of live boot and the graphical install several times, same three endings..

Any ideas on where to start diagnosing problems? I can still run Kali on my main desktop PC fine, so im not without Kali, but would certainly be easier to learn and use if had a permanent setup on the laptop, do you think the laptop specs are too old for Kali ? It is pretty old i agree, but thought cpu/ram would handle linux ok?

Thanks in advance all...

i also found an old laptop, but for sure i didn't go with kali on it. from various researches,i stopped between mint and Lubuntu. opted for Lubuntu which works faster than my modern desktop with kali. once installed, go for katoolin which will take you to every tool from kali you want to install. your choice. hint: do NOT install kali repos happy hunting

Maybe your hard disk kave broken sectors? Check it, or try install Kali on another machine, if you have any (for test only).

Sectors are fine, gone through several checks.. Kali already works fine on another machine, just wanting to get it on this laptop... :-/