Thread: Kali Live USB filled space

Kali Live USB filled space

I've been trying to use OpenVAS from my kali live USB. Its a fresh USB (64GB) I formatted it and added kali linux to it using universal USB installer. I booted into kali and began to use it. To use OpenVAS I needed to apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade. While going through these I get an error saying that Disk space is full. When I check the space it says that i only have 2GB total. When I open the drive on windows it shows that i still have like 60+ GBS available. Please Help!

If you use DiskImage via Windows in the tutorial it makes to partitions one being the image which is about 2.7GB, a 16ishMB Fat32 partition then the rest of the space is unallocated which you need to setup for Persistence via Gparted or Another partitioning program via Windows. Forgot the name off hand since I'm not home an on my iPad but if you don't use Persistence it will Make it look like only 2.7-3GB is there. Another thing I noticed is even with persistence if you do the apt-get dist-upgrade it takes forever and afterwards is VERY slow. I think you need to enable making a custom LIVE ISO for it to work but again it takes a while and just the Defualt is about 7-9GB. I tried it on a 16GB USB with roughly 12GB for persistence and after about six hours it was done but slow and very unresponsive on my laptop which makes me think you need to do the Build Custom Live ISO. I have also read that if you use persistence just use apt-get update and install the program's you want or need then run update again. I could be wrong but so far that is what I have found in the forum.

Also if you are in Windows if you use Rufus and use the ISO option cause it will tell you it's a hybrid image and can use ISO or DD using ISO will make one giant partition and not a 2GB one. I will try to find the link to the partition program for Windows or if you are in Linux use Gparted.

In terminal type "gparted /dev/sdb and it should load up the USB and show the partitions and unallocated space

If you type in "fdisk -l" it will show what the USB drive is called if /dev/sdb is not it. Also don't use the quotation mark when typing those in terminal. My SanDisk Cruzer with the 2GB partition from the Windows install tutorial pops up as

/dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2 then if you use Gparted or another partitioning tool when the persistence partition is made it becomes /dev/sdb3

Hope this helps some. I have been trying to find a good method and had persistence working after finding at least six different tutorials on how to do it and it's been very hit or miss and the official documentation assumes you made the image in Linux and not Windows. If someone else who has better knowledge can chime in that would be awesome or even a mod/admin/dev to help out. To many tutorials for 2016.1 Rolling and enabling persistence and like mentioned are very hit or miss or when they do "work" the live image is extremely slow.