Thread: Cannot start task in Openvas in Pi3

Cannot start task in Openvas in Pi3

Hi, I've just installed the Kali on Raspberry Pi3 and Openvas. It seems to be working but no matter what kind of tasks I created, it simply does not start. I saw the openvasmd consumed the CPU for a while but then went away.

apt-get install/apt-get dist-upgrade/openvas-setup are run.

The following messages are found in the openvasmd.log, is it because of not enough system resource, e.g. memory?
    md otp:MESSAGE:2016-05-01 21h38.16 xxxx:1411: Scanner loading: 33650 / 46769 nvts.
    event task:MESSAGE:2016-05-01 21h38.16 xxxx:1411: Task 28f93de8-2705-4259-a8ea-ef2f867c79ca could not be started by admin

Hi dvmrp,

You might just need to be more patient :-)

I've just done a fresh install, set up OpenVAS and run it without any problems.
    Looking at your log, you might have started a task while it was still downloading the nvts.
    Why don't you run "openvas-setup" again and let it finish - it can easily take an hour or so.

Good luck,
    Re4son

Quote Originally Posted by re4son View Post
    Hi dvmrp,

You might just need to be more patient :-)

I've just done a fresh install, set up OpenVAS and run it without any problems.
    Looking at your log, you might have started a task while it was still downloading the nvts.
    Why don't you run "openvas-setup" again and let it finish - it can easily take an hour or so.

Good luck,
    Re4son
    I reinstalled everything and now it seems to work. Thanks. 1GB RAM is certainly a significant limitation...

Too bad, only the first scan works. Subsequent scans fail no matter how many time the openvas-setup is run or rebooting the system. I did a bit google, is it related to this issue? https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=2591

Quote Originally Posted by dvmrp View Post
    I reinstalled everything and now it seems to work. Thanks. 1GB RAM is certainly a significant limitation...

I did more tests and the problem seems not to be 100% related to Pi3. I bought Odroid C2 and tested on it as well. The first few scans were working fine, including scanning the whole class C subnet. It just took considerable time to complete. All of a sudden, it refused to work anymore. I tried to remove the /var/lib/openvas /var/cache/openvas and re-run openvas-setup. The setup was completed successfully but still not able to start any scan.

openvas-check-setup indicates that the installation is complete.

The messages in /var/log/openvas seems not able to provide any hint to move forwards. I searched the web and apparently I am not the one reporting the issue and most posts are related to Kali 2.0.