Thread: Unable to Change MAC Address using macchanger

Unable to Change MAC Address using macchanger

Hi. I am using Kali in an Encrypted Bootable USB with Persistence and my WiFi Adapter is the TP-Link TL-WN722N.

I've tried to change my MAC Address using conventional methods to no success. The steps I did are as follows:

Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    macchanger -r wlan0

Current MAC:   f4:f2:6d:1b:75:ba (unknown)
    Permanent MAC: f4:f2:6d:1b:75:ba (unknown)
    New MAC:       36:f2:a6:14:d0:43 (unknown)

ifconfig wlan0 up
    This will give me a New MAC but it will revert back again later after restarting the Network Manager. To verify connection to Internet I use:

Code:
    ping www.google.com
    ping: www.google.com: Name or service not known
    No Ping from Google so I restart Network Manager and re-try Ping using:

Code:
    service network-manager restart
    ping www.google.com

PING www.google.com(sin04s09-in-x04.1e100.net (2404:6800:4003:80a::2004)) 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from sin04s09-in-x04.1e100.net (2404:6800:4003:80a::2004): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=20.4 ms
    64 bytes from sin04s09-in-x04.1e100.net (2404:6800:4003:80a::2004): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=14.1 ms
    ^C
    --- www.google.com ping statistics ---
    2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 14.160/17.300/20.440/3.140 ms
    I will start receiving packets from Google. Then to verify again my MAC Address, I type in:

Code:
    macchanger -s wlan0

Current MAC:   f4:f2:6d:1b:75:ba (unknown)
    Permanent MAC: f4:f2:6d:1b:75:ba (unknown)
    Notice that the Current MAC is the same as the Permanent MAC which means that the New MAC I got earlier reverted back to the Permanent MAC.
    Some people may ask me not to restart the Network Manager but won't that leave me with no Internet connection? I have posted a screenshot of my command line for more clarification.

mac problems1.jpg

network manager is the problem... that should be fixed with version 1.2. and it "anonymous mode" I wonder why it is not the one in use yet in kali roling. (available since end of april)
    You can install it "by hand", i didn't try... but if the kali staff didn't implemented it yet, there is maybe a reason..
    I spoke too fast, i was updating while i wrote and there is a new version of network-manager coming...
    Code:
    metacity-common metasploit-framework mimikatz nano network-manager
      network-manager-gnome
    so maybe try to update and look for this famous "anonymous mode", it is enabled by default and suposed to change your mac randomly when you scan. When you conect by defauklt the native mac wil be used and you have to do something to change it.
    You can also manually change it in your network manager profiles, that works.

-------------edit----------

I spoke too quickly again...
    fail for network manger update, the only packet that failed,,,
    Code:
    Descargados 224 MB en 9min 56s (375 kB/s)                                      
    E: Fallo al obtener http://ftp.free.fr/pub/kali/pool/main/n/network-manager/network-manager_1.2.0-1_amd64.deb  La suma hash difiere
    bad checksum lol.
    Maybe tomorrow, i have no time to dig that now...

-------------edit 2 ------------

Spoke too quickly again...
    You have to rise your kernel, just do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    after you "update" your repo'
    I don't know if macchanger wil work... I guess no but network manager is supposed to do the job. I am not fan, at all, of this network manger policy which is to have the total control, but it is getting better, at least we can now use ifconfig and other command line tool to manage our interface, because for more than one year that was not the case, it was time that they realized how anoying that was...I hope one day we wil hae an alternative to this netwrok manager that does not ahve a lot of personality, a poor scan and still with incredible bugs : try to switch off one interface with network manager and... ups... all are switched off... I mean ***? If you want to use a USB you have to manualy disable "connect automaticaly" with the internal and than you will be able to conect with USB (unless you use ifconfig down, taht at least works now)
    Last edited by kcdtv; 2016-05-05 at 11:43.

I change mine like this:
    Code:
    leafpad /etc/network/interfaces
    Then I add at the bottom:
    Code:
    pre-up ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:01
    Save and reboot.

Your syntax is correct try to change mon0 interfacce address replace wlan0 to mon0. You can also connect your pc to mobile phone hotspot for verfication get here more info about how to change mac

MTeams suggest you read the following link as there are several simple solutions to this problem..

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...t=Netmanmac1-3

Musket Teams

Hello have same problem. I am using Kali 2016.2 in a Virtual Box with USB WiFi Adapter integrated in there so I can choice wifi hotspot to connect in Kali's network-manager list.

But when I've tried to change my MAC Address using conventional methods to no success. The steps I did are as follows:
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    macchanger -r wlan0

Current MAC:   35:77:35:13:58:42 (unknown)
    Permanent MAC: 25:47:g4:6d:8f:13 (unknown)
    New MAC:       36:f2:a6:14:d0:43 (unknown)

ifconfig wlan0 up
    It looks like macchanger was auto changed mac early before I want to change it. Hm?
    Notice that, after change mac this will give me a New MAC actually but it will revert back again later to Current MAC after typing ifconfig command.
    But when I connect to hotspot from network manager's list and type ifconfig again, it's revert back to me my Permanent MAC.
    System was updated before.
    Last edited by maiki; 2016-11-29 at 10:06. Reason: Foul Language