Thread: i686 installroblem latest kali linux

Thumbs up i686 installroblem latest kali linux

I am trying to install kali-linux-2016.1-i376.iso on an old Compaq Presario 2200 laptop with a Celeron M CPU and 1GB of RAM. I already have Kali Light (an earlier version) running with hiccups on a Comaq desktop with AMD 64 bit processor and 4GB and also an armhf version running on a Genesi Efika MX Smarttop.

The problem that I'm having is that the kernel will not boot without complaining that the system does not support PAE. This disk is supposed to install on 386's. Either I am missing something totally in the FAQ or the installation instructions or someone failed to consider early machines in the very ISO designed for installations on early machines. Ever seen a 386 with 4GB? I certainly never have!

I could put together a custom system, I guess, but the only way to do that is to build it on an existing Kali system. but I am in the process of migrating from Vectorlinux 7.1 (Slackware 13.37 based) and I don't want to re-invent the wheelin the process.

Any suggestions?

Ed

Repetitio est mater studiorum

Read the article. The Ceeron-M is a true 686. If it is intended to restrict Kali Linux to 64 bit systems, then by all means distribute only the 64 bit version, which I am running on a Compaq desktop. But if you are going to call something "i386", then common sense would dictate that the install disk boot on a any 386 box with a quantity of memory which is appropriate at least to systems built toward the end of the 386 era.

I run this like-new restored Presario 2200 because being a writer I do extensive word processing. And The Great Chinese Cookie Cutter has determined that all laptops (and desktops for that matter) should be used to watch wide screen movies and HD TV. If I had any other reasonably priced available choice, I would run more modern hardware, but there literally is none being produced.

I might also note that for purposes of serious work, the current "bloatware" LibreOffice which I use is really no more useful than the ancient Applixware which I still have, and which yakes up one twentieth the disk space. Modern software is grossly overweight, and that includes most Linux window managrs and windowed applications.

In order to fix this problem, I will go back to Debian and build a custom kernel from current source code.
    Then I'll make a custom instal disk. A **** of a lot of work... made necessary by lack of thought when the original nstall disk was made.