Thread: Sovled install kali freeze at login tty1, can't start gui.

Sovled install kali freeze at login tty1, can't start gui.

Hello members. This would be my first post since I'm a new member of the forum. For my experience I want to share with you how to fix Kali Linux 2016.1-adm64 (2.0 ver) installation problem with freeze at login tty1,tty2,tty3,tty4,tty5,tty6,tty7(GUI),something mouse cursor appear for 5 seconds and disappeared,some time Kali Rolling GNU/ Linux tty1 world flashing like crazy. These are the symptom of miss-configure proper nvidia driver for Kali Linux.OK, so after you done all the step you need to install your Kali in HDD, SDD, Virtual Machine, VMWare, USB (what ever it is) you got 3 options from the Grub boot menu.(you need to boot directly from your BIOS to the storage device that you just installed you Kali). If you try the first one, more likely it will not work, these symptoms I was just describe above will likely appeared. So go back to your Grub boot menu, choose the second one from the menu, scroll down to recovery mode and enter. After Kali loading will ask for your password to continue to terminal (or Ctr-D to continue to Kali ). Obviously we want to fix this graphic drive problem so Ctr-D not the option.
    OK so you get in to the root terminal root@kali:~#
    start internet connection by
    service network-manager start (your eth0 should be ready)
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade (gonna take a while though)
    apt-get dist-upgrade-y && reboot (in order for the new update,upgrade take effect you need to reboot)
    boot back into your Linux by BIOS
    chose recovery options
    let it load enter password (not Ctr-D)
    start internet connection again
    service network-manager start
    uname-a (check your host name and verison of Linux headers)
    should say something like
    Linux Kali 4.5.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.5.3-2kali1 (2016-05-09) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Kali is my host name so it say Kali but it can be vary depend on your set up when install
    apt-get install linux-headers-$(Kali-r) <= Kali is my host name, depend on what your host name is type it in, check by cmd : uname-a. Some article or post use (uname-r) and the results is no location found so the correct way is type in your host name
    apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-xconfig nvidia-settings
    after that check if xorg.conf files is in /etc/x11 folder by type
    nvidia-xconfig
    Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
    Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
    New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    then reboot your system by type
    reboot
    When the Grub boot appear choose the first boot option GNU/Linux, now it should load you in to GUI mode with nice ration and resolution

Feel free to leave me comments and questions, as a newbie I want to learn from you guys. Thanks

I want to install Kali on my hard disk but when I boot from the usb and select install it freezes. Any fix?

Hey man , so I think u need to wipe out your USBb and reformat it again in Fat32 and start the step from this forum http://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how...ional-0162253/ step till the part persisttence. FYI if you want to make just a live bootable USB install Kali on your hard drive then there no need to go for persistence. Perisitence conf is when you want to make your USB become an actual live drive, anything you save on the system will store in that USB. In this case you just want to boot into install Kali so there no need to go further, just boot it up by BIOS after u finish USB Universall Installer and start install Kali from there. Do a graphic install, when it say something like missing cd-rom unplug the USB and plug it back in hit Yes then you should be able to continute

hello im having same issue. my netbook doesnt have nvidia drivers it has intel gma drivers. and how can i enable my internet without eth0? my netbook only has wifi so i can only use wlan0. and btw. i can boot kali in live

Hello hartlezzevolved, first thing I gonna say is that kali wlan0 only support some of the wireless adapter, usually your build in adapter wont support kali, so I have to say u need to buy a new adapter for Kali. http://www.wirelesshack.org/top-kali...ters-2014.html This should show you what adapter compatible, I purchased the TP-Link TLWN72NN Wireless N150 high gain USB, 150Mbps, 4dBi external antenna ( the white one). It only cost $15 buck on Amazon and did a great job to put Kali in monitor mode to capture packages, and handshake. Any how just buy one of those adapter hook it up.
    Sudo network-manager restart
    Sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    Sometimes the Kali automatic detect the adapter it ready to connect to wifi for you. Hope this helps

it does recognize my wifi. whenever i turn it on using ifconfig wlan0 up it does turn on. i just cant connect in my network because i dont know the steps. ill try the sudo network-manager restart. thanks

sir i can boot to live mode. and i can access the drive where i installed kali linux. i read some articles on the internet. they said i should install startx in the recovery using the command apt-get install x-window-system

since i cant connect to the internet in recovery...

what if i download that x-window-system manually through live and place it in the drive?

and if possible, where can i download, and where to place it?

thanks for answering my previous question, sir

Ok first of all depends on what type of graphic card do u have ? Is it Nvidia , AMD or Intel ? Supposedly, you can go ahead and code: sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core gnome-core. From there if you boot in recovery mode log in to root. Code: startx and Ctr-Alt-F7 to GUI mode, maybe it will work maybe it wont work. The problem is the graphic card on your machine. If u configure it right then it should work. That is why i ask u what type of graphic card u have on your machine. For myself i try install x-window-system I be able to get the GUI but the resolution and ratio is **** since i have an NVIDIA-GEFORCE 970. I dont know what is the problem, i have to reinstall kali and try from the beginning like my post and it work.
    About ur connection issues. Is ur machine pc or laptop ? If it laptop then i suggest buy one of those adapter comptible with kali linux, plug it in to the usb while u booting in recovery mode, leave it there reset the machine. Recovery mode log in then code: ifconfig wlan0 up or try again code: sudo service network-manager start. If ur machine were pc the solution is simple. Buy one of those RJ 45 cable ( ethernet cable) cat 5, 5e, 6.. ( up to u) plug it in the NIC card slot for ur ethernet cable. The other one should go to ur router. The boot into recovery mode, log in simply code: sudo service network-manager start. U should be able to connect to internet from there, it should say something like eth0 is ready after the code if u configure it right.

Hi ciscomirrors, thank you for your tutorial.
    I tried installing NVIDIA drivers (for a GT540M) countless times in these days, both from NVIDIA.run file and from apt nvidia-kernel-dkms. Between each failure i reinstalled the entire kali OS to be sure not to work in a compromised environment. These procedures gave me two different malfunctions:
    1) Grey background with sad face telling me "Oh No! Something gone wrong"
    2) Text interface login flickering and refusing keyboard digitation for a little more than a minute, then nothing but text mode kali
    I tried your procedure: it gave me problem number two. How can i fix this? Why kali doesn't implement a third party driver manager like other distros do?
    Maybe there can be another solution: my pc has an NVIDIA Optimus system (Intel HD Graphics 3000 + NVIDIA GT540M) and of course i'm not interested to extreme graphics performance (kali was not made for gaming, right?) but i'd like to watch a movie without have to switch OS (i'm in dual boot with Win10) so i was thinking about updating Intel's graphic card drivers that is enough to handle a FullHD video stream and that's all i need in terms of performance. It can be made?
    I apologize for my English, is not my native language! Thank you for your time!

what if i use intel as my graphic card?

Quote Originally Posted by ciscomirrors View Post
    Hello members. This would be my first post since I'm a new member of the forum. For my experience I want to share with you how to fix Kali Linux 2016.1-adm64 (2.0 ver) installation problem with freeze at login tty1,tty2,tty3,tty4,tty5,tty6,tty7(GUI),something mouse cursor appear for 5 seconds and disappeared,some time Kali Rolling GNU/ Linux tty1 world flashing like crazy. These are the symptom of miss-configure proper nvidia driver for Kali Linux.OK, so after you done all the step you need to install your Kali in HDD, SDD, Virtual Machine, VMWare, USB (what ever it is) you got 3 options from the Grub boot menu.(you need to boot directly from your BIOS to the storage device that you just installed you Kali). If you try the first one, more likely it will not work, these symptoms I was just describe above will likely appeared. So go back to your Grub boot menu, choose the second one from the menu, scroll down to recovery mode and enter. After Kali loading will ask for your password to continue to terminal (or Ctr-D to continue to Kali ). Obviously we want to fix this graphic drive problem so Ctr-D not the option.
    OK so you get in to the root terminal root@kali:~#
    start internet connection by
    service network-manager start (your eth0 should be ready)
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade (gonna take a while though)
    apt-get dist-upgrade-y && reboot (in order for the new update,upgrade take effect you need to reboot)
    boot back into your Linux by BIOS
    chose recovery options
    let it load enter password (not Ctr-D)
    start internet connection again
    service network-manager start
    uname-a (check your host name and verison of Linux headers)
    Linux Kali 4.5.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.5.3-2kali1 (2016-05-09) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Kali is my host name so it say Kali but it can be vary depend on your set up when install
    apt-get install linux-headers-$(Kali-r) <= Kali is my host name, depend on what your host name is type it in, check by cmd : uname-a. Some article or post use (uname-r) and the results is no location found so the correct way is type in your host name
    apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-xconfig nvidia-settings
    after that check if xorg.conf files is in /etc/x11 folder by type
    nvidia-xconfig
    Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
    Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
    New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    then reboot your system by type
    reboot
    When the Grub boot appear choose the first boot option GNU/Linux, now it should load you in to GUI mode with nice ration and resolution

Feel free to leave me comments and questions, as a newbie I want to learn from you guys. Thanks
    press Ctrl + Alt + F2 .. if existing login screen and the mouse cursor does not move back to the top and to the center directly on the contents of the root username and password that you fill in when first installed linux .. if the mouse moves again upwards dkiri and ketengah, press Ctrl + Alt + F2 again until it can fill in the username and password, if already logged in as "root @ localhost"
    press "Ctrl + " repeatedly, ignore if the mouse moves to the top left and center, hold down "Ctrl + "
    personal experience .. and succeeded. I use the Acer Aspire One D270