I'm on a 64bit Sager Laptop running Kali Linux off a USB. The Kali Linux image was written onto the usb using win32 disk image. I set up persistence using ext4.
I've run all the usual code for updates and upgrades. I've tried deleting old kernels, updating repos, updating grub, xorg, etc. Nothing so far has worked.
I don’t know how to do the logs properly, but if they’re needed then I’ll figure it out.
I also don’t know whether this question should be posted to the “Installing Kali Linux” section of the forum.
The only thing that I haven't done yet is build a kernel and install it, and then remove all previous kernels. I'm not sure if this will work but it's my last option.
I'd like to see if anyone can help me before I spend even more time doing something that may not work.
My ultimate goal is to install NVIDIA drivers, which can't happen until I solve my kernel/linux image issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

uname -r gives me:
4.3.0-kali1-amd64

Yet when I do:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-4.5.0-kali1-amd64

I get:
linux-image-4.5.0-kali1-amd64 is already the newest version (4.5.3-2kali1).

And when I do this:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64

I get:
linux-image-amd64 is already the newest version (4.5+73+kali1).

I'm assuming that I have the 4.5.0 image already installed or downloaded, and it's just not switching to it from 4.3.0

How do I tell Kali to boot up with the latest image instead of 4.3.0?