Thread: No Boot / system hang on "Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes..."

No Boot / system hang on "Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes..."

Hi @all,

i have a new KALI installation on VirtualBox.
    KALI works fine. Later I have start Update over Settings --> Update

Now, I don't can start KALI.
    The boot hang on the position "Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes..."

Can anybody help me to solve the problem?

Thnaks & Regards, Herry

Hi r2d2r3po,

I seem to be experiencing the same issue except its on my REAL machine!

I installed Sophos antivirus (bad idea), then went to do an update. Typed "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" in the command line and during the update process Sophos flagged some metasploit files and crashed my computer, I waited a while to see if it would sort itself out but after hours had to physically turn off and re-boot.

I re-booted and now it just hangs on "Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes..." and then turns off after a while...The the next time I try and boot it hangs on "Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.erfac" ????

About 20 lines up it says [ ***] A Start job is running for "Sophos Stopping User manager for UID 133... if that helps?

Can we boot into kali advanced settings mode maybe? Can I uninstall Sophos without booting through another OS maybe??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Hi,
    I have exactly the same behavior on a laptop after updating from Kali 2.0 (with final updates) to Kali rolling. As described on the Kali website I changed the sources.list and made apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade with no errors. After rebooting there is the Problem. I use a Fujitsu lifebook E752.

Please help me...
    Thanks a lot
    Thomas

I have the same problem on a DELL Inspiron 15 3552 after doing sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel.
    The laptop has Intel HD Graphics and previous to this it would boot to a blank screen unless in recovery mode that would get me a command line.

Solution for hang on the position "Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2r3po View Post
    Hi @all,

i have a new KALI installation on VirtualBox.
    KALI works fine. Later I have start Update over Settings --> Update

Now, I don't can start KALI.
    The boot hang on the position "Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes..."

Can anybody help me to solve the problem?

Thnaks & Regards, Herry
    What I did was the following:

use alt+f2 and login into a separate terminal session

remove gnome with
    sudo apt-get autoremove gnome-core gnome-shell gnome-session

reinstall it
    sudo apt-get install gnome-core gnome-shell gnome-session

reboot

for me this worked... actually as xrdp doesn't work with gnome i moved to another window manager later

I fixed the problem by changing from my speed graficcard to stamina, go into the rescue mode and updated there again the dist. Now it is working again. Changing to the speed graficcard works also well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by co-moi; 2016-10-27 at 12:48. Reason: Fixed

I just had this problem as well and the way I fixed it was to alt-F2 for a login shell and then I ran the following command twice.

apt-get -f install

I ran it twice because the first time it installed some things but still didn't completely fix the problem. Running it a second time installed a lot more then the first time and after a reboot kali loaded as expected.

I hope this helps!!

Just had this problem. CWO's solution helped, except because I'm running it as a VM the alt key combo didn't work; I booted into advanced mode, then recovery. Ran apt-get -f install let it do it's thing.

Working distro!

Zapx's solution worked for me in Kali 2017.2.