Thread: Did upgrade on rolling kali and no internet access

Did upgrade on rolling kali and no internet access

I did the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and it said there was 404 upgrades available. I allowed it to do the upgrades. Once they were done i cant get on the internet. I have tried using wifi, ethernet and even plug in my usb alfa wireless adapter and i cant connect at all.

So i restarted the computer and when it started up it said that iwlwifi cannot load. I could see that there were networks available and even connevt to them, but when i conected i couldnt access the internet. This happend with all three of the adapters. Sometimes it shows the networks I can connect to and sometimes the WiFi icon is faded out.

The main wireless adapter in my computer is an Intel dual band wireless ac 3160.

I ran the command lspci -knn | grep Net -A2 and got this result:

Network Controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 3160 [8086:08b4] (rev 93)

Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless AC 3160 [8086:8270]
    Kernel Driver in use: iwlwifi

I also restarted the network manager, reset the network connection settings, and did the ifconfig wlan0 up. No results.

I am new to Kali and have only been using iflt for a couple days. I really don't know much about Linux in general, so I am hoping someone can help me

I have to applaud your stamina for diving into Kali with only a little linux knowledge. Kali can be daunting for beginners.

That said, for a fresh install of Kali, you're better off doing apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade. Have you verified your internet access is working? Does the output of ifconfig show you have an IP address? Any results from a ping of google.com?