I'm new to the forums, so call me out if I am posting this in the wrong spot.

I am relatively new to Kali and have spent most of my time using Kali 2. Normally I run it off a USB 3.0 Sandisk with USB persistence, but I bought a Raspberry Pi 3 as a dedicated portable option.
The issue I am having is that when prompted to logon, Kali does not register my typing or mouse movement. Eventually the 'I' beam stops flashing in the text input area and Kali freezes.
I have used multiple methods of writing the files to the micro (DD, win32 imager, etc) and have tested the setup on my old Raspberry Pi 2 model B, but it never allows me to sign in once it boots.
I have tried multiple sets of peripherals of both the wireless and wired varieties (as well as having them plugged in before boot and after boot).
I updated and upgraded everythingusing the Pi 2, still no luck.
I am using proper power supply options.
I have even tried using a powered USB hub in case power consumption is the issue, but still no luck.
I have loaded UbuntuMate on the Raspberry Pi 3 to make sure its not an issue with the Pi itself, but everything works fine.

If anyone has any ideas on where I should look next, please advise... I am at a loss and really only wanted the Pi 3 for Kali.