Thread: Supported USB wifi card doesn't seem to get recognized (Alfa AWUS036NEh)

Supported USB wifi card doesn't seem to get recognized (Alfa AWUS036NEh)

I'm not sure if I have a defective cable, or some other issue.

Here is my setup:

- Nexus 5, Nethunter installed. (6.0.1)
    - Alfa AWUS036NEh
    - This cable: "Micro USB Male To USB Female Host OTG Cable + USB Power Cable Y Splitter"

When I hook up the Alfa card with the above cable, the blue LED lights up on the card, but nothing seems to happen on the phone (not sure if it's supposed to show it recognizes it or not). I also tried giving it power by plugging in the USB cable to a wall charger but that did not make a difference.

I thought I read that the drivers were built-in for this card, but just in case I also did an "apt-get install firmware-ralink"

I also toggled the setting "Y-Cable Charging" but when I plug the OTG cable into a charger it does not charge the phone (which is why I'm thinking it's the cable)

If I type "ifconfig wlan1 up", it says no such device

If I type "service networking stop / service networking start", I get a segmentation fault (but this happens even without the card plugged in).

Even before or after the above command, if I check ifconfig -a it doesn't see a wlan1.

I've rebooted the phone with the wifi card plugged in multiple times.

My complete dmesg output: http://pastebin.com/m9pEq7i8

In Android, USB debugging is enabled. The USB configuration is set to MTP.

Hopefully I've provided enough details. Please let me know if there are other commands or settings you'd like me to reply with. I really want to get this working.

Thank you

UPDATE - forgot to mention, "lsusb" does show the Ralink card.
    Last edited by natv; 2016-06-11 at 03:34.