Thread: VMWare Workstation Player - "Cannot start services"

Angry VMWare Workstation Player - "Cannot start services"

Hi,

I've been tying to install VMWare Workstation Player on my Kali, latest version. However, after getting round the kernel headers issue (it could not find the headers, so I updated my sources.list, did an update & upgrade, installed the kernel and it worked) I got straight onto another issue. When I start VMWare Player, as root or standard user, either by launching it or starting the service manually I get an error saying that it could not start the service. I tried looking online, but have found no satisfying solution... How can I solve it? It's really annoying, and I'm suprised that this issue still hasn't been fixed - I found some posts from 2013 about this, so I would expect that 3 years after this issue would be fixed... But oh well, what can I do ?

Hi, I'm having some problems too... looking around I see that the point could be to charge the modules murrine and canberra (gtk) into /lib/modules/4.6.0-kali1-amd64/....
    Anyone can tell me if it could be and if it is, how can I do it?

How your kernel problem solved ? I am still getting kernel header problem from 4 days.I did update,upgrade, reboot but still not getting solution.
    Can you help me ?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CodeNinja View Post
    How your kernel problem solved ? I am still getting kernel header problem from 4 days.I did update,upgrade, reboot but still not getting solution.
    Can you help me ?
    Thanks
    Hello, CodeNinja.

To do this, I have edited my /etc/apt/sources.list file to include the latest kali-rolling repositories (just google it and you'll find them, it's on the official kali site), and then i did a "sudo apt-get update" (to update the repositories) and then I did "sudo apt-get upgrade" (on the list that pops up there should be a package called something like "linux-image-amd64", if not try "dist-upgrade"). After that, I rebooted and run an uname -r (to see if the kernel was updated, if not don't worry - that's what the next step is for ) and then did a "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-...." to install the newest ones, run VMware again, and it worked fine except the services.

Hope it helps,
    Matt