Thread: Remove desktop items (and other insight)

Remove desktop items (and other insight)

computer is a Lenovo thinkpad t400, GNOME 3.20.2, RAM 4.7 GiB, Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz × 2, Graphics Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset, Base System Kali GNU/Linux Rolling 64-bit

I have installed Kali rolling less than a week ago and have been looking around getting to know the GUI and getting things set to my liking. I have also been updating/upgrading every day... At some point i found an option to show things on the desk top and I chose "Files" (home folder) and "network servers" as two things i would like to be on my desktop. Today I went out and got some pictures and videos from my trail cam and when I got home I organized them into their respective video or pictures folder. The pictures ended up corrupted for some reason... (I know this fact is besides the point but may have some merit) I just went ahead and deleted the pictures. Next I navigated over to the network servers folder to see if my windows machine was running and the system would hang for a bit and the folder would not open, a right click to bring up the menu yielded the same thing, next I tried dragging the folder and that didn't work and also made the system hang for a bit, anything with the folder made the system hang even a single click. So I restarted the computer and as the computer was shutting down I noticed it said watchdog failed to stop. After restart I still had the same problem. Thinking maybe my last update may have a bug and I had not updated yet today I hoped it was something caught and fixed so I did an update and upgrade and it fixed the problem and network servers now works but I wanted to remove it from the desktop and can not find an option or a way to drag n drop it off the desktop and I can no longer figure out how to show something on the desktop now eather, much less remove it. cut, copy, move to... and copy to... options are all grayed out. The only other place I can find/get to windows network option is under the places dropdown menu under browse network. I am running as root...

Any help I can get from the above ramble? How do I remove folders from the desktop?

i think the menu you are looking for is in gnome tweak tool.. it is on the launcher bar on left side of screen at the bottom.. the options are under the desktop tab

YES! that was it. thank you

a question to the moderators... how do i mark this thread as solved?