Thread: Autologin on Kali Lite after Dist-upgrade on XFCE4

Autologin on Kali Lite after Dist-upgrade on XFCE4

I have Kali Linux Lite installed from berryboot on my Raspberry Pi 3.

I had autologin enabled on my xfce4 by modifying the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file and remove the #s from the appropriate lines and it was working fine until I updated my distribution using apt-get dist-upgrade.

I tried the same thing again but it does not work.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

So I discovered that if "autologin-user=root" is unhashed in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf it actually logs you in but the screen stays locked, so I can access things which I added to the start up like SSH remotely, which is what I needed in the first place.

Was wondering if there is a way to actually remove the login totally so that it just goes straight into the desktop.

just curious if you ever figured this out and if you did, could you explain it and in regards to your other question

have you seen this :http://elinux.org/RPi_Debian_Auto_Login

Hello,

I Have the exact same problem, i have ssh added to my boot, uncommented the lines in the conf file yet after boot i still have the login screen but cant access ssh if i dont login, same with apache server, it doesnt start before login..

I really hope someone has got an answer, maybe reinstall xfce or something..

please let me know if there is any solution to this..

Thanks in advance

Hello,

and sorry for my bad English.

change this:

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[Seat:*]
    #autologin-user=root
    #autologin-user-timeout=0

to this:

[Seat:*]
    autologin-user=root
    autologin-user-timeout=0

and change this

/etc/pam.d/lightdm-autologin

# Allow access without authentication
    auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet_success
    auth required pam_permit.so

to this:

# Allow access without authentication
    #auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet_success
    auth required pam_permit.so

Grüße
    Epigenese

P.S.: thx too https://forums.kali.org/member.php?30830-scorpius see this thread https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...root-autologin at #10
    Last edited by Epigenese; 2016-08-13 at 20:23.

Hi Kingsdredd,

I just saw your message in my inbox but I can't reply for some reason so will just post here.

Yeah I figured out how to do it. First go to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file and remove the # from the line "autologin-user=root" make sure there are no spaces. Also "autologin-user-timeout=0".

Make sure you also configure your SSH to boot up on start using the following command in the terminal "update-rc.d -f ssh remove" followed by "update-rc.d -f ssh defaults".

Now when the computer boots up the screen will be locked but you will be logged in (new feature after update im guessing) but ssh will be connected. Please let me know if this works for you, if it doesn''t it's probably that the runlevels were not set properly and illl have to check mine again.

---------------------- X ----------------------

If the update-rc.d -f ssh defaults command doesnt work try update-rc.d -f ssh 2345 instead.
    Last edited by maiki; 2016-09-16 at 08:43. Reason: Merge posts