Thread: Unresolvable CD Rom Error 2016.1

Unresolvable CD Rom Error 2016.1

I am having a problem installing Kali 2016.1. I keep getting the sam CD Rom Error, however I don't have a CD drive and have created a bootable USB Drive (Seagate Expansion 1TB). I have searched google and have tried unplugging and replugging in the drive and that doesn't work I have also tried to mount sdb and that tells me that it doesn't exist. I can boot from USB into Kali Live but that isn't as convenient for me and rather have it install on to the internal drive. I have redownloaded the iso multiple times, used Win32 to write the iso onto the drive multiple times, also tried OS X and nothing seems to work, as I keep getting the same CD Rom error. The computer is a Samsung ATIV Book 9 900X3L (NP900X3L-K04US) with Windows 10 as the stock OS that it came with.

Thank you

first which type of bios you use. uefi or legacy? move to legacy support.
    in bios check all options like boot from cd (if it is enabled)... and others
    then verify your download iso is sha1sum OK.
    Then in Windows 10 disable fast startup and secure boot if it was enabled, and try once again.
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

you have to unplug the windows hdd before installing linux on a new one. after the install, replug the windows hdd. the only thing is that you have to choose at every boot from bios which hdd to use, since it will start with the primary partition as default(wich should be windows one)

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    first which type of bios you use. uefi or legacy? move to legacy support.
    in bios check all options like boot from cd (if it is enabled)... and others
    then verify your download iso is sha1sum OK.
    Then in Windows 10 disable fast startup and secure boot if it was enabled, and try once again.
    The sha1sum was OK, fast startup and secure boot are disabled, I don't have a boot from cd option (computer doesn't have a CD Rom).
    In my Bios I have the option for CSM (for windows 7, XP etc) and I have UEFI. I have been using the option to use UEFI and CSM (which I assume is legacy).

Quote Originally Posted by WavyCEO View Post
    In my Bios I have the option for CSM (for windows 7, XP etc) and I have UEFI. I have been using the option to use UEFI and CSM (which I assume is legacy).
    use only CSM (it is legacy) and try once again. First try to boot windows in csm mode, and then to install Kali

use only CSM (it is legacy) and try once again. First try to boot windows in csm mode, and then to install Kali
    Duxim thanks for responding again I had the Bios sent to CSM only and booted in windows and then tried to install Kali and got the same error. I honestly can't figure out what is going on with this install. I've never had such a problem with this.

try with some other version of Kali Linux like lite

try with some other version of Kali Linux like lite
    Is it then possible to go from Kali Lite to the full version via terminal commands?

Quote Originally Posted by WavyCEO View Post
    Is it then possible to go from Kali Lite to the full version via terminal commands?
    yes, with this command
    apt-get install kali-linux-full
    or
    apt-get install kali-linux-all

yes, with this command
    apt-get install kali-linux-full
    or
    apt-get install kali-linux-all
    Duxim thanks for all your help. I actually discovered that I must have the worst luck, both USBs that I tried were unable to install Kali. I tried a third USB just because and it finally went thru perfectly.

I am glad that you make it !