Thread: Atheros mini-PCI NIC model compatible with the HP 2540p?

Atheros mini-PCI NIC model compatible with the HP 2540p?

Curious if anyone else has opted to remove their Intel Centrino Advanced-N and replace it for an Atheros based card? I opted to do this for Penetration Testing, as the Advanced-N doesn't inject frames with Kali v1 (aireplay-ng), and has driver issues at startup with Kali v2.

That said, the full size Atheros AR5BXB6 simply does not detect with both Kali v1 or Win7 64bit, and the AR5B95-H reports 104 incompatible NIC systems errors upon laptop bootup (tested in both mini PCI slots).

Ideas? Else I am looking for an 802.11 NIC that will support packet injection. Can use my external Atheros NIC, however, this isn't suitable for avoiding eyebrows being raised.

Hi James,

I feel your pain on this one. The reality however, is that you will never be able to get the same level of performance as your external Atheros on an internal card. In terms of eyebrow factor, I would recommend simply putting your external NIC into a 3.5" HDD case. It provides enough room for you to build in a monster of an antenna as well. Currently I'm working on building in a wireless NIC, USB battery pack and raspberry pi into one of those brackets so for man in the middle attacks (there is a surprising amount of room in these cases).

HP is clamping down much like Lenovo has in terms of what components they allow in their machines.

I hope that helps

Tulpa

Thanks for the reply Tulpa! I hear what you are saying in-terms of range factor between int and ext adapters, etc.., and I agree with you there. I also currently use an extended long-range antenna with that NIC, so I usually keep it popped straight up inside my knapsac so it's not usually seen (only an inch or two sticks out when the zipper is open). Thing is, I just want an Atheros card for injection in this laptop that I can use when I'm 'wherever' for immediate surroundings. That said, I'm considering investigating the NetHunter software to see if I should go that route instead. I need a new phone afterall, and I guess a used Nexus would suit my needs for testing the NetHunter s/w. Do you have an opinion there? I only learned about it today, as that was a route I was hoping for for months now, but I delayed because I wasn't sure which phone would have an 802.11 chipset that would permit injection, etc.. Guess the Nexus has one that will, else it wouldn't be pushed for NetHunter.

Hi James,

Your in for a treat with NetHunter

The only suggestion that I could make in that regard is to go for a Nexus, but consider getting a refurbished one. You can pick them up for next to nothing, and you'll be more willing to experiment with some of the hardware hacks thats making its way to the surface. I'm sure you can tell that I enjoy the hardware side of things, and the only really realistic way to continue pushing the bounds is to do so while being financially responsible.

Coming back to your OP, I am seeing more and more manufacturers lock down on what hardware components you can use. As I mentioned Lenovo is at the forefront of this movement, and Asus followed suite shortly after. I hardly work with HP just because the manufacturers support is terrible where I'm from, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense that you would be encountering the same issues.

Best of luck with your experimentation!

Tulpa