Thread: Do I need the Kali Live Volume Icon on my Desktop?

Do I need the Kali Live Volume Icon on my Desktop?

So I have Kali Live USB w/ persistence working great.. I even completed two update/upgrade sessions.

What I'd like to know is: do I really need to have the 'Kali Live' volume (which includes the BOOT/EFI partition) on my desktop? It seems to me that if I really need to access this volume, I'll be able to find it, even if its mounted somewhere other than /Media.

I've experimented with flagging it as 'hidden', and that worked okay (system rebooted just fine; no volume icon on my desktop), but I'm kind of wondering if there's something I don't know.. please advise.

Thanks!

My Kali persistence is a bit rusty, but if you rebooted after flagging the volume as hidden & rebooted, you should be good.

@grid: thank you for the reply! I'll try running it that way and see if I can identify any issues.

No problem, Snotes I'm close friends with the trial-and-error method

So far the only issue seems to be my incessant need to customize.. and any change that I want to make the files in the EFI folder require me to unset the hidden flag and reboot.

I might try renaming the partition by pre-pending a '.' to the name so that it'll b hidden, just not flagged as 'hidden' and it won't show up on my desktop just because I want other mounted volume to show up.

Please let me know if you anticipate any issues with this approach; I'd rather not start over again if I can avoid it :-)

Thanks in advance!
    Kali 2016.1 Persistent USB w/ a General User & Sudo.

Update: It works! I no longer have a Kali Live partition on my Desktop, and I can still access the EFI and BOOT files and folders that are mounted in the /medium/<user>/.Kali\ Live/ folder.

I had to boot from a DVD to do it, and I used the Disks app to unmount the USB drive and edit the file system (Edit Filesystem...) in order to relabel the partition '.Kali Live'.

Cheers!

Kali 2016.1 Persistent USB w/ a General User & Sudo.