Hi Guys

I'm hoping you can help me with my problem, it's my first time using Kali as I try to pursue an interest in security and penetration testing.

I've created a live USB Kali 2016.1 USB drive using the instructions from the Kali website. I've also tried to configure it with persistence using instructions from the site but this failed to work. So I began using different instructions from around the web but still with no joy.

When booting into Kali Live Persistence I see two USB icons on my desktop, Kali Live and Persistence (the name I gave the partition I created for persistence). Inside the Persistence icon there is the persistence.coif file that was create with / union inside.

I've tried saving to the desktop, root and documents but they're never there after a reboot. However when I save to the persistence icon/drive it remains after a reboot.

I've read several posts on here but none as helped me so far which is why I am posting, hopefully I've made a schoolboy error and you can point me in the right direction.

The commands I used were:

mkdir -p /mnt/my_usb
mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/my_usb
echo "/ union" > /mnt/my_usb/persistence.conf
umount /dev/sdb3

Many thanks for taking the time to read and help in whatever way you can, Cheers