Thread: Alfa awus036nha (ar9271) crashes for deauth or fake AP

Alfa awus036nha (ar9271) crashes for deauth or fake AP

Setup

Host: Windows 10
    Vmware player 7.1.4 build-3848939
    VM: (kali 2.0) Linux localhost 4.3.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.3.3-7kali2 (2016-01-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    usb network card: Alfa Awus036NHA AR9271

Issue:

First: i boot up my computer and the Kali VM. I plug in the USB and the blue light on the card turns on for a few seconds and then turns off for a few seconds. The computer keeps making the noise as if you are plugging in a usb device and unplugging it over and over again. This continues and never stops. Inside the kali if i type ifconfig when the blue light is off i get nothing but if i catch it while the blue light is on then it will say wlan0.

Then i will catch it with the light on and type "airmon-ng start wlan0" this will display :

PHY Interface Driver Chipset
    phy8 wlan0 ath9k_htc Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n

This puts the card in monitor mode. The blue light flashes on and off continuously (i'm assuming reading packets) and the noise from the OS of the usb being connected and disconnected finally stops.

It appears everything is working well. Ifconfig reveals wlan0mon and i can perform airodump-ng wlan0mon and everything works great. I see all the AP's around me and the normal information that is supposed to work with this.

My problem occurs when i try to deauth a client on my network or if i try to create a fake AP. In both scenarios when i perform the command my USB network adapter automatically shutsdown. The lights turn off and ifconfig doesn't show the card anymore. The message i get inside my terminal is that the network interface does not exist. I'm not sure why the card shuts down when trying to perform either of these actions. Not too sure how else to trouble shoot further and these two (fake AP and deauth) are the only two attacks i have tried so far. Is there any way to narrow down the issue?

I have removed and reinstalled the firmware for the alfa card but still no luck.

NM I have resolved this issue. I was able to fix the issue by swapping out the usb cable. Once I used a new cable the connect and disconnect noise from the PC stopped and the light stayed on constantly (before putting the device into monitor mode).