Thread: Formatting a 64G SDXC microsd card for Kali on RPi2

Post Formatting a 64G SDXC microsd card for Kali on RPi2

I have tried repeatedly, with gparted, parted, and fdisk, to format the card in fat32 with many different partition layouts (2 32GB parts, 1 32GB part, 1 64GB part). I check the partition in each one every time I do this...then I load Kali using dd and it changes the format. I have managed on 2 attempts to to 'move' or 'copy' the files from the 'extracted' tar.gz on these 2 attempts it would not load when i put it in the Pi2 and turned it on. Using dd it loaded successfully and worked on the Pi2, but, when I checked the format later no matter what size I formatted it as the partition size had changed and there were 3 partions, one 51.8GB and unallocated, one was 61M the other was 6.3GB....Is there a way to fix this on this card or do I just need to suck it up and get a 32GB SDHC card??? And yes I new to this,,,

You can use gparted after dd'ing the image to the sdcard to resize the second partition to fill up the rest of the sdcard.

DD does a "disk dump" of the img file to the sdcard. Since we want to keep the file size down as much as possible, we set it to be roughly 7GB in size so that it will fit on an 8GB sdcard.

There are plans to add a properly working "rpi-wiggle" script, but right now, the easiest way is to simply use gparted to resize the partition.