Thread: Kali Install(Wierd stuff)

Kali Install(Wierd stuff)

Hello, I would just like to start out saying that I have a Dell inspirion 7559 I5-6300HQ with intel integrated graphics and the NVidia GTX960M discrete graphics. Windows 10 home 64 bit . 8 gigs of ram.

I downloaded the ISO for kali Linux and made a USB bootable disk for use in dual boot. The first time I done this and started the graphical install I noticed that there was a part at the beginning that allowed me to connect to Wi-Fi at the very beginning of the installation. It said there were some files missing and that it wanted me to insert media for it to load. All I did was hit continue and it seemed like it loaded the files from the USB. My mouse worked.

Unfortunately, after I finished the install, Kali would not load into the desktop but only once for me. The time I did log in, I updated EVERYTHING, headers and all. But as soon as I rebooted and got to the login screen, I put in the user name and password on the grey screen and it just locks up. cursor and all. It never loads the desktop.

So, I decided to use another ISO imager program to see if that would help. Nope.

Now when I make the ISO USB and load to kali graphical install. It doesn't act the same way. It doesn't ask me to connect to a Wi-Fi at all and then it just throws missing firmware files for iwwfli or whatever they are. There are at least 6 missing files that weren't missing from the very first time I installed Kali.

Another thing is.... (confused)... When you get to the partition part of the installation and hit guided and let it partition on its on. It creates a reserved BIOS boot entry. But every video I've watched shows everyone self configuring and adding the regular /boot option entry and not the reserved BIOS entry.

Right now I have Kali installed and the grub menu displays the entries for Kali and my Windows 10 loader but if I try to boot into Windows 10 loader it just reboot loops. I have to turn secure boot back on to get back to my windows.
    This system is a UEFI system.

I would just like to know what the right configuration is that I need for partitioning and where exactly the MBR is suppose to be installed.
    EASYBCD doesn't support UEFI, so that's out.

Here's the deal. I'm just so lost at what to do.

VMware and Virtual box are **** when using a laptop. Your internal card is recognized as direct wired. And for some reason VMware and virtual box DO NOT like the new USB Wi-Fi adapters that are AC1200. My Netgear 3100 doesn't recognize and my TP-Link ac1200 USB doesn't either.

Ok. So after trying all combinations of changing the GUI login setting and Bootup grub settings. THE ONLY WAY I can get Kali to load to desktop is to choose advanced gnu Kali. Then select either Kali 4.3 or 4.6. But once loaded to user/login you have to click the cogwheel and select the setting gnome classic.

The weird thing is... When you first boot your computer and grub gui loads. I cannot select the first entry for Kali. I have to choose advanced and select Kali from there for it to load right.

But I do notice before the user/login screen shows. During the black screen, I see some errors display for a short second about NOUVEA display.

Can you do Ctrl+Alt+F3 to get a console login? If so, you should be able to login there, and check the output of dmesg, lspci, and lsusb to get some details on what's going on? There are probably some entries in /var/log as well.