Thread: Installing Kali Linux Dual Boot windows 10 on a MSI GS60 6QE

Installing Kali Linux Dual Boot windows 10 on a MSI GS60 6QE

Hi everyone,

I'm searching to install in dual boot kali linux on a msi gs60 6qe.

I have multiple question .

First one is it possible to dual boot, with grub, with different hard disque, for exemple : windows is on a SSD 256G and take 40G, and install kali on the HDD 1TO, but still have in future the choice at the start of the computer kali or windows?

The second, question is, in order to boot the live usb of kali i have disable the secure boot on the UEFI, but when i start kali install graphic or even live with persistence there is a black screen and nothing else? ( I may have found a solution : maybe i have to enter the root and password, i will try as soon as i can ) .

And finaly, Do you think, that is going to be pertinent to dual boot kali or should i take a external drive to install it, but still can boot on the external drive first when his connected to the PC ?

Sorry, for my poor english, I promised to improve it.

Thanks a lot,

Le Zèbre

Dual-Booting Kali Linux 2.0 Rolling on the MSI GS60 2QE (UEFI)

Hello Zébre!

I have the exact same laptop as you do, and I've been struggling to get it to dual boot, but i now know how to do it! ( MSI GS60 2QE (Non 3k version) )

First of all, I would highly recommend you to use Kali Linux on a virtual machine like VMWare or Virtualbox if you are a beginner into Linux and or to pen-testing, which you both can get for free!
    Secondly, I would recommend you to just partition your SSD down to 30-60 GB's for your Kali Linux OS, as that will be more than enough to keep you running, and SSD's boots your Kali Linux much faster than your HDD.

There is an excellent guide on how to dual-boot your Kali OS with Windows Vista/7/8/10 with the UEFI booting option. Here's the link to that: https://vimeo.com/178412442 (Watch the video and follow the details into it's fullest!)

IMPORTANT: When you are following the video, to the point where the guide shows you to add the SANA repository in Systemrescued, just follow it to the very details, but once you have booted into Kali Linux, open up the terminal and type the following (Do this as soon as you boot into Kali Linux 2.0 Rolling):

leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list

A text editor should popup now, erase all the content in the text file and replace it with these lines:

Code:
    deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free
    # For source package access, uncomment the following line
    # deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free
    Press ctrl + s, or press on the save button.

Now open up a new terminal and update your system:

Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
    After this reboot and enjoy!

Other than that you should be good to go!

The installation of the Nvidia drivers for the GTX970M hasn't been working for me though! There really isn't really much use of using a Nvidia graphics card from what I've heard, unless you are trying to crack passwords in your own network or by something you actually have the rights to crack on. Because the graphics card boosts that process from what I personally know! If you manage to install your drivers correctly please contact me!

And why boot your Kali Linux on a HDD anyways? Just spare some space on the SSD, and keep your other files in your HDD!

This is my first time posting on any forums, and I hope it helps you. If you encounter any error just post your problems here!
    Last edited by user_name; 2016-08-11 at 03:11.

hello user_name,

First of all, thanks a lot for your detailed reply, thats very kind.

I'm in did a beginner, so i think i will stay with kali in a virtual machine for now.

But I am also a fast learner and I find kali not that complicated to use. ( I haven't try every tool yet but still.)

Do you know what are the real advantage to have kali installed on a computer? ( for exemple with virtual box i don't have access to the wifi card but still to internet via the host connection.)

Thanks again, Le Zèbre

Quoting the user charonsecurity's post!

"Good question. I am sure everyone will have a positive opinion either way. Personally I prefer the dual boot option (mainly to get rid of headaches with compatibility and networking issues.) Also with my setup I actually VM windows with Kali, though on my desktop I use Windows for gaming (which may change the way it seems how Steam is evolving lol).

However it really depends on your preferences. Once you get everything running smoothly you will be happy with either choice. With Dual boot benefits are: Mostly everything works out of the box, or at least no more than the usual hoops you have to jump through to get everything working. You have full access to all your hardware.
    Cons: Must reboot your machine to get back into windows. Windows does not natively recognize your Linux partition. Full Disk Encryption can be a pain to get running correctly.

Benefits of VM: No rebooting. Setting a bridge to share files between the OS's is easier. Can use full disk encryption like truecrypt without any issues. No need to partition your hard drive.
    Cons: Not always easy to tell if a problem is related to you virtualizing Kali or another issue. A lot of hard ware is virtualized, like video card (meaning some perks will not be fully utilized). Internet issues might arise between different tools.

With that said, I prefer Dual Booting, for its ease. However I must point out from your system spcs, you shouldn't have any issue with VM."

In my opinion dual booting is prefered!