Thread: Stuck at Kali Installation - "Registered Protocol Family 1"

Stuck at Kali Installation - "Registered Protocol Family 1"

Hello,

I was trying to boot Kali on my laptop Acer Aspire E 15 via USB but i'm stuck at the intallation.
    Kali version is last one (2016.1).
    The last message i see is "Registered Protocol Family 1" then it's stuck until i turn off the pc.
    Browsing online i understood that that message isn't meaningful, it just cannot load after that. I also saw that another person had the same exact problem but users didn't help him and he didn't find a solution. Solutions i tried that didn't work are adding "maxcpus=1" and "acpi=off"/"noapci" to the grub boot line.
    Another person tried to install a different version of Linux and found a solution changing the usb boot port and removing every other device from the usb ports. I also tried that but with no success.
    I tried the same .iso installation on a VirtualBox machine and it worked perfectly (The issue is that VirtualBox cannot load integrated/PCI wireless network adapter, I should use an USB one but i don't have one at the moment).
    I also tried a BT5R5 .iso before kali and i had the same message.

I have Win10 installed on my laptop even though i don't think that could affect the boot. How can i fix this? Is it possible that it's an hardware issue and i cannot boot Kali on this specific laptop?

Also stuck on live usb mode

I've got the same exact issue. I'm using an Acer Aspire E5-573G. So... I think that we have an hardware issue connected somehow to Acer. I suspect it's the wireless module. Does anyone know how can we check this out?

EDIT: I would like to let you know that the same exact problem shows up when I try to boot the live usb. I tried the same USB stick in a Desktop PC, and it boots without problems, so the issue is Acer related for sure...
    Last edited by Claff; 2016-08-25 at 07:37. Reason: Adding Info

Hey guys, just to let you know that I had the exact same problem on my Acer Aspire E5-573g and it was something to do with outdated BIOS. I downloaded and installed the newest version from the Acer website and Kali Live worked immediately. Hope this helps.