Thread: Waiting for headers...

Waiting for headers...

This is a new issue and for some reason I am having it on 3 separate machines, 2 running Kali rolling native and 1 running Kali rolling on virtual box. In all instances, I am able to ping out to the net and browse as well, however, apt-get functions such as update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade are getting hung up at 0% Waiting for headers. Sometimes they move past that, but it is very slow and ultimately never finishes.

On the virtual box machine, I wiped and reinstalled from a fresh download and am having the exact same issue. I have never had an issue running update/upgrade in the past. Is it possible there is something wrong on the repository side?

I've been having the same issue. It appears to be issues with the hosting. Yesterday I couldn't get it to resolve at all, today it's just slow. I'm wondering why I've got 360 packages being held back from upgrade? Should i have run a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' since April?

Select a different mirror for your sources.list. Worked like a charm for me.

Source : https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ository-Issues

Issue: Downloading from the repository is (very) slow
    Solution: Wait, manually select a mirror or make your own mirror.
    Kali-Linux has multiple different mirrors around the globe, and it will automatically select the one which is closest to you based on your GeoIP. From time to time, certain mirrors may become slow for any number of reasons. You can either wait a few hours and see if the speed increases, else you can manually select a mirror.
    Click on both 'mirrorlist' link below and find select a mirror that suits you. You will then need to edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file accordingly with the chosen values (don't forget to run 'apt-get update' afterwards).

I am trying this and having issues, but I am positive I am doing something incorrect on my end. Would you mind sharing your sources.list contents?

I was able to add successfully to the sources.list file, but I am still getting hung up on Waiting for headers. When I run apt-get update it gets hung up at 0%. When I run apt-get upgrade it gets hung up at 14%. When I run apt-get dist-upgrade it gets hung up at 19%.