Thread: Kali Linux VM Bridged networking will ping external address but no internet access

Kali Linux VM Bridged networking will ping external address but no internet access

I am running A Kali Linux VM in VMware Workstation 12 with a windows 10 host on a Dell Latitude E6520 Intel Core i7 with 8gb ram.

The windows is connected to the network via ethernet cable, 100mb broadband with a firewall running DHCP services. I have a valid internet connection on the host and other VMs (ubuntu and windows guest) are able to use the bridged network successfully without any issues.

Kali VM config.
    2gb ram allocated
    Bridged network connection showing connected at power on and current state connected.
    Bridged network interface set to VMNet0 and manually configured to the connected physical adapter.

Kali Install
    Linux kali 4.3.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.3.3-7kali2 (2016-01-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Network Settings as configured through "wired settings" IPV4 set to automatic (DHCP)

I am trying to get bridged networking to work in VMWare, when I select it the network settings show that I have a connection and I am able to ping various sites (google, kali.org) though I cannot browse websites and the specific problem is that "apt-get update" fails.

It is my first time posting here so please bear with me!
    So I have installed the latest Kali VM from the kali website. I have made no changes to the Kali image apart from the networking settings.

I think it best to explain my goals. I want to build a customized ISO and have been following the instructions on the Kali website but came across a number of issues downloading the required files. Using NAT network connection in VMWare I found that our firewall was blocking some of the files. So, I bypassed the firewall and used nmap to confirm a free IP address before setting manual IP config within Kali to get out to the internet. This is where it starts getting complicated (for me at least!) nmap started coming back with "host is up" for all addresses in the range which I know is not true (This is still using NAT network in VMware).

I set the Network Connection to bridged. Nmap now works as it should and I can ping various address (google, http.kali.org). However, when I run apt-get update I receive a time out error and I cannot browse the web.

I have tried amending the virtual network Editor settings in VMware and set the bridged adapter to my physical ethernet adapter but this made no difference. I tried restoring default settings in the VMWare virtual network editor settings and I have re-installed vmware tools which was reported as succesful but still no change.

I really hope that someone out there knows a really simple fix as I'm now going round in circles aimlessly :-S, I have searched the Kali orums and docs, youtube and google and I can't seem to find anyone else with this specific problem.

Any help/advice is more than welcome as I am getting beyond my understanding. Even if someone could help me understand the files related to network config so that I can continue to troubleshoot it would probably make all the difference and stop me going slightly mad :-) Please see below further outputs that may or may not help in identifying the problem. (For this purpose it is back on the firewall giving out a 192.168.1 address)

Many thanks for anyone that can shed any light. (and if there is some critical information I have missed out please let me know!)

ifconfig shows
    th0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet 192.168.1.49 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    inet6 fe80::20c:29ff:fe94:7dbb prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
    ether 00:0c:29:94:7d:bb txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
    RX packets 1231 bytes 76848 (75.0 KiB)
    RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
    TX packets 89 bytes 6787 (6.6 KiB)
    TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10<host>
    loop txqueuelen 0 (Local Loopback)
    RX packets 20 bytes 1200 (1.1 KiB)
    RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
    TX packets 20 bytes 1200 (1.1 KiB)
    TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

ethtool eth0 in command shows:-
    ethtool eth0
    Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP ]
    Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Full
    Supported pause frame use: No
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Full
    Advertised pause frame use: No
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 1000Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: Twisted Pair
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    MDI-X: off (auto)
    Supports Wake-on: d
    Wake-on: d
    Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
    drv probe link
    Link detected: yes

The /etc/network/interfaces file is below.
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

The command Service network-manager status
    service network-manager status -a
    ● NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: active (running) since Thu 2016-08-18 10:37:54 EDT; 25min ago
    Main PID: 776 (NetworkManager)
    CGroup: /system.slice/NetworkManager.service
    ├─776 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon
    └─884 /sbin/dhclient -d -q -sf /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dhcp-helper -pf /var/run/dhclient-eth0.pid -lf /var/lib/NetworkManager/dhclient-b...

Aug 18 10:37:56 kali NetworkManager[776]: <info> (eth0): device state change: ip-config -> ip-check (reason 'none') [70 80 0]
    Aug 18 10:37:56 kali NetworkManager[776]: <info> (eth0): device state change: ip-check -> secondaries (reason 'none') [80 90 0]
    Aug 18 10:37:56 kali NetworkManager[776]: <info> (eth0): device state change: secondaries -> activated (reason 'none') [90 100 0]
    Aug 18 10:37:56 kali NetworkManager[776]: <info> NetworkManager state is now CONNECTED_LOCAL
    Aug 18 10:37:56 kali NetworkManager[776]: <info> NetworkManager state is now CONNECTED_GLOBAL
    Aug 18 10:37:56 kali NetworkManager[776]: <info> Policy set 'DHCP Bridged' (eth0) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS.
    Aug 18 10:37:56 kali dhclient[884]: bound to 192.168.1.49 -- renewal in 17655 seconds.
    Aug 18 10:37:57 kali NetworkManager[776]: <info> (eth0): Activation: successful, device activated.
    Aug 18 10:38:01 kali NetworkManager[776]: <info> startup complete
    Aug 18 10:38:06 kali NetworkManager[776]: <info> use BlueZ version 5

Right, so a little bit of a red faced moment!

I've resolved the issue above and it turned out to be AVG blocking the bridged networking from VMWare. To save face a little and to hopefully help someone else that may come across the same thing I'll explain why it took me so long to find the problem. One of the first things I did when I came across this issue was to Temporarily disable AVG to see if this was the cause, when I disabled the AV it made no difference to the strange network symptoms I was seeing...... little did I know that disabling AVG does not disable the AVG firewall. So, lesson learnt, Although the AV and Firewall parts of AVG are managed in the same interface, disabling AVG does not affect the AVG firewall.

Thank you for everyone that read the post. Hopefully I can now crack on and build my custom ISO :-)