Thread: Dual booting from USB with persistence on MacBook Pro El Capitan

Unhappy Dual booting from USB with persistence on MacBook Pro El Capitan

So I've been trying for about a week. I can get Kali to boot but not with persistence. I followed the guide on Kali's website as well as many YouTube videos. I'm working on OS X El Capitan. When I follow Kali's steps when I get to

end=7gb
    read start _ < <(du -bcm kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64.iso | tail -1); echo $start
    parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary $start $end

It says the Kali Iso file can't be found. I am using the right file name when I do it (Kali-Linux-2016.1-amd64.iso. So I stopped trying to do that. I went on gparted and with the remaining 13 Gb on my 16 gb flash drive I went into terminal and did all the /mnt/my_usb stuff with the persistence.conf file saying / union but that doesn't work whenever I boot up again the drive is still in the corner just with that file. Can anyone give me a detailed summary on how to do this or link to somewhere with instructions to help? Also, does anyone know why it's saying it can't find the iso file when I'm in kalis terminal doing the parted command thing?

El Capitan can be really awful - I had all sorts of problems getting Kali to dual boot from USB on my own late 2015 MBP. In the end, I installed rEFInd through Recovery Mode (SIP makes it so ./refind-install can't run in El Cap) - you can find a detailed summary of how to do this by searching "rEFInd El Capitan", but it's simple, just download, unzip, boot into recovery mode, navigate to the correct directory, and run ./refind-install.
    After installing rEFInd, I booted into Kali Persistence, and ran the above little script you were trying to. It told me there was no such file, so I downloaded the same version of Kali into my Downloads folder(in Kali) then ran the commands, and it worked fine. Let me know how this worked for you (it's worked like a charm for me so far, whereas using GParted was so annoying).

Quote Originally Posted by Rcarr17 View Post
    So I've been trying for about a week. I can get Kali to boot but not with persistence. I followed the guide on Kali's website as well as many YouTube videos. I'm working on OS X El Capitan. When I follow Kali's steps when I get to

end=7gb
    read start _ < <(du -bcm kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64.iso | tail -1); echo $start
    parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary $start $end

It says the Kali Iso file can't be found. I am using the right file name when I do it (Kali-Linux-2016.1-amd64.iso. So I stopped trying to do that. I went on gparted and with the remaining 13 Gb on my 16 gb flash drive I went into terminal and did all the /mnt/my_usb stuff with the persistence.conf file saying / union but that doesn't work whenever I boot up again the drive is still in the corner just with that file. Can anyone give me a detailed summary on how to do this or link to somewhere with instructions to help? Also, does anyone know why it's saying it can't find the iso file when I'm in kalis terminal doing the parted command thing?
    I had problems so I searched youtube and followed this video and my usb persistence went well saves everything works flawlessly so far. A YouTube video use the same utilities he uses, I started the setup in my windows10 laptop, things went smooth, watch for virii infected utilities, download from a trusted source and or scan them b4 using of course. The setup instructions are pretty well the same but maybe the video will be more helpful!
    Last edited by maiki; 2016-10-11 at 12:08. Reason: Remove YouTube link