Thread: Help With Setting Up Edimax EW-7811un Wifi Adapter On Pi Zero

Question Help With Setting Up Edimax EW-7811un Wifi Adapter On Pi Zero

I have spent hours reading articles and changing file after file over and over again. I am truing to properly set up my Edimax ew-7811un wifi adapter on m a Pi Zero running Kali Linux. I was able to set it up once upon a time when I had Jessie running on it. I remember that it was a pain setting it up back then and it's even worse now. I believe that I possibly used a bach file to set things up in the end.

My current situation is simple. My Pi sees the adapter, it even flashes blue. I've changed the /etc/network/interfaces and the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf (had to create it because it did not exist) multiple times. The network logo appears to be connected, but it does not connect to my network.

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid"NAME"
    wpa-psk "NETWORK_PASSWORD"

I updated the Interfaces File multiple times and this is the latest rendition. I saw that many people resolved their issue by directly placing their network info into the interfaces file. I still ran into the same issue.

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant ctrl_interface_group=0 ap_scan=2
    network={
    ssid="NAME"
    scan_ssid=1
    proto=RSN
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    pairwise=CCMP
    group=CCMP
    psk="PASSWORD"
    }

This is what the wpa_supplicant file looks like as of now. Even though it isn't being called it still exists as a file.

The adapter currently doesn't seem to work because of the changed interfaces file, but when it did "work" it wouldn't receive an IP address. I would have to run *sudo ifdown wlan0 && ifup wlan0* to enable it and get it to start blinking. It would also show that it was connected to my router but it would not connect to the internet.

There is not a single article that is specific to my issue (TBH, no article is always specific to one issue) but I really need to figure this out. I can never master something if i'm always getting stuck in the process. I don't like asking for help, but help. I'll provide as much information as possible. There are a lot of factors that go into this. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Pepe_Kali; 2016-08-22 at 15:19.