Thread: Installed to USB, but it just boots to a black screen with a flashing cursor

[SOLVED] Installed to USB, but it just boots to a black screen with a flashing cursor

I'm pretty sure I did everything right, but apparently something went wrong. I've got a Windows 10 machine and a laptop dualbooting Ubuntu and Windows 7. I did a guided install and encryption of Kali on a 16GB USB flash drive from a Live CD I made.

On the Ubuntu/Windows 7 Laptop, it just booted to a black screen with a blinking cursor from the USB and also the Live CD. I was told that it might be a problem with the bootloader, so I installed GRUB to the USB drive from Ubuntu. It now boots to a screen that asks me to type in some kind of BASH commands, but it doesn't seem to have an option to boot Kali.

On the Windows 10 Desktop, it will begin to boot and go through the process, but when it actually boots, my monitor says "Out of Range." I believe it's because of the NVIDIA card (GTX 1060), but since it won't boot on my laptop, I can't install the proper drivers.

I'm taking some pen testing courses online and I can't continue until I have a working OS to go off of. So if anyone can help me out quick, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

EDIT: I reinstalled with a different method and the x86 version (I have an x64 system) without encryption this time. The same problem persists. :/

EDIT 2: Solved it! I just installed it again with Win32 Disk Imager this time. Did the trick.
    Last edited by KillerTuxedo; 2016-08-28 at 23:31. Reason: Posted solution