Thread: Files don't seem to be saving outside of the persistence drive on my Kali Live USB?

Question Files don't seem to be saving outside of the persistence drive on my Kali Live USB?

The persistence drive appears on my desktop when I boot, and I created a text file with Leafpad called "persistence.conf" with the text "/ union" inside, but after I reboot, my desktop configuration and any files I save to it are gone. The "persistence.conf" file is still in the persistence drive, though, so things seem to be saving there. Just not anywhere else.

I tried this whole thing:

mkdir /mnt/usb
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb
    echo "/ union" >> /mnt/usb/persistence.conf
    umount /mnt/usb

But all it does is make my Persistence drive disappear from the desktop until I go back and delete/recreate that partition. It's there already when I first make the partition, though, so I just added the .conf file manually with Leafpad... though that didn't seem to work, either.
    So my question is, how do I get the persistence drive to... you know, persist?

Details on my drive:
    The USB drive is 16GB. I made it using Win32 Disk Imager, and I have 3 parititions on it. The main FAT partition is 2.7GB with Kali installed to it and then there's a second 88mb FAT Partition both made automatically by Win32 Disk Imager. I then have a third partition around 12.6GB that is Ext. 4, primary, and named, "persistence" that I made in MiniTool.

Last edited by mmusket33; 2016-08-29 at 11:52.

Hey, thanks for the response, mmusket33. I followed the second guide to a tee and it did create the persistence.conf file, but the "/ union" part was not in it. Also, it did not save my text file I saved to the desktop.

Nevermind! I tried it a second time and it just worked! Awesome, thanks!