Thread: Using aireplay-ng to send deauth causes airmon-ng in another terminal to crash...

Using aireplay-ng to send deauth causes airmon-ng in another terminal to crash...

Hi,
    I am running a freshly downloaded kali 64bit VM in VMware Fusion 8

I have an external USB Wifi dongle. Alfa AWUSO36NHA. lsusb shows "Bus 002 Device 012: ID 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n"

I start with the usual: airmon-ng check kill, airmon-ng start wlan0, airodump-ng wlan0mon (to collect info about my wifi)

Then I start the process for listening for handshake, airodump-ng -c 2 --bssid XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX -w <path to store cap> wlan0mon

In another terminal to send a deaauth packet, I type aireplay-ng -0 3 -a XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX -c XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX wlan0mon

As soon as i do this the airodump process in the first terminal, that is running fine, finding clients etc, stops with the error message:

read failed: Network is down
    Interface wlan0mon:
    ioctl(SIOCGIFINDEX) failed: No such device
    Can't reopen wlan0mon

Any suggestions as to what is going wrong. I've never seen this.

Thanks for your time and input.
    Will

I have the same problem. I'm running Kali within VMWare Fusion on OS X.

If feasible, I'd try it in a native Kali install. Wireless in a VM has been troublesome for me.

Well, my issue is fixed. After reading this, https://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?topic=976.0, I replaced my mini usb cable connecting my AWSU036h with a thicker (better) one and my problem went away. It works perfectly for me now.

This problem has been seen in two(2) other instances

1. A external wifi device is attached to the computer using a usb cable longer then 5 meters.

2. Luks encryption is installed especially in persistent usb installs of kali linux. This is the reason MTeams stopped offering tutorials on installation of luks encryption. We were unable to fully test the install.

Musket Teams
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2016-12-16 at 02:46.