Thread: Kali live USB install doesn't work at all!

Kali live USB install doesn't work at all!

I want a live USB to investigate it's tools and become familiar with Kali. However, I have been very unsuccessful at creating a live USB. I am running windows 10 currently, I am booting in UEFI, and I tried recently to use Rufus, Unetbootin, Linux live usb creator and Live Usb Install to write to the USB. I have verified the checksums and they are all correct. Secure Boot is disabled but, I just can't seem to get it to work. I also tried several kali linux iso (2016.1 amd64, 2016.2 amd64, light 2016.2 amd64 and Kali 2.0 i386) and several usb pen too but nothing works: everytime i get "boot error" (or "SYSLINUX 6.03 ETCD Copyright (C) 1994-2014 H. Peter Anvin et all Failed to load ldlinux.c32 Boot Failed: press a key to retry when using Rufus).

Even if i'm using ISO files (all downloaded from https://www.kali.org/downloads/) i tried Win32DiskInstaller too but I get the message, "USB needs to be formatted before use" just after writing and usb capacity seems to be reduced. I also tried to format it in FAT16 but nothing changed. Please help, at this point i don't even figure out what i still can try.

Send a Printscreen please.

I created a usb installer using Rufus but it would not boot via uefi I didnt get the same error as you just a blank screen. In the forums I found a post saying that there was a second partition in the iso. When I opened the 2016.2 iso image in windows it shows a efi.img file in /boot/ I used 7zip to open efi.img and then copied the efi folder from it to my usb installer. I was able to boot the usb installer via uefi after extracted the efi img partition from the iso and put efi folder on the usb installer. The installer wanted the cdrom to be able to continue though. I put it on. But I have since been told that you can unplug the USB when it says unable to find CD rom, then plug it back in. You might need to click retry 3 or 4 times, but it will fix it. I havent had a chance to try that part yet. Putting in the actual dvd worked though.

- wolfelder

Try using "win32 disk imager" it is really simple to use and will put the iso on to a USB for you then just set your PC or laptop to boot from USB or removable drive. If you have UEFI bios, you can try disabling secure boot and enabling Legacy support.

format your usb then use dd command to flash iso to usb.

I'd use dd instead of a loader - that's what worked for me.

Also - I'm booting with EFI on a mac and I had to install rEFInd to get my own live usb to work. Make sure your USB is formatter correctly before dd-ing it.