Thread: Kali Rolling 2016.1 & 2016.2 Audio issue? Speaker Built-in audio not loud enough?

Kali Rolling 2016.1 & 2016.2 Audio issue? Speaker Built-in audio not loud enough?

This particular Audio Hardware Realtek ALC3226 High-Definition audio codec is used in 4Q2013/2014/2015 Dell machines Specifically Latitude Exx40, and Precision M4800/M6800. It is safe to say as a previous E5440 owner I had no issues with the sound. the ALSA drivers for the Built in speakers worked and produced adequate sound. The part I am not sure of is what version of kali was originally installed. I want to say I installed kali 2.0 prior before the 2016.1 the rolling releases. I do remember going through the 900+ updates and updating the rolling repositories source.list on the 5440 months after the install. Since the 5440 no longer in my possession and in the hands of an idiot, I have upgraded to a Latitude 7404.

The Latitude extreme 14 7404 uses the same audio hardware Realtek ALC3226 and after the install of Kali Rolling 2016.1 & 2016.2 Audio DOES Work. Headphones work when plugged in infact ask me for an option if its a headset or headphone. HDMI had some issues in rolling 2016.1 I had to pulseaudio kill, purge and apt-get install pulseaudio and ALSA and somehow I just ended up opening VLC and selecting HDMI and HDMI was now in PulseAudio so go figure unsure how i fixed that one but HDMI works.

So Headphones and HDMI sound is adequate. It is the Speakers-Built-in audio that is having the issue. at first you would think that sound was not working at all however if you bump up the over drive past 100% to max and test left speaker and Right speaker and put your ear real close to the speaker you get to hear a extremely faint "front Left" "front right" noise. So it works.. just not loud enough.

so I thought maybe it was the speaker is bad.. I installed windows, WindeX version and BOOM the speaker is by far the most amazing speaker for a laptop I ever heard WOW // Dr dre BEATS got nothing on this mag coil Shoot. I am impressed

the only thing special about the 7404 is that there is only one Speaker in the front. Would Mono/Stereo have something to do with this and how can I test when I don't have a drop down option in pulseaudio?

Thoughts comments suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks.

Well I solved my own issue and very happy .. when troubleshooting to add "MONO" to the output sound profiles (which also didn't work btw) I stumbled across this site that led me to perform

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

after the install, I hit the Windows key and started typing "alsa" to do a search and the I opened GNOME ALSA

I raised all the Volume meters and unchecked to un-muted everything apparently the Headphone channel next to master was all the way down that was causing the issue.Screenshot from 2016-09-08 18-55-47.jpg

Problem Solved.. YEY!!!!!

Well still unsolved...

After a restarted I lost sound from pulse audio, possibly from the pulse audio troubleshooting I was doing prior, so I did a clean install again. Installed sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer, apt get updates, upgrades etc...

I am experiencing exactly this situation here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=183211

after trying to follow the solutions they seem to work until I restart. ALSA has the sound adjustments for the Realtek ALC3226 and unlike Pulseaudio, ALSA has the ability to un-mute the channel in the mixer and i am able to get sound. even after I save the settings and if I

-k pulseaudio

and kill/restart the pulseaudio deamon, the "headphone" channel becomes muted again as well as when I restart. If this headphone channel is muted I do NOT get sound from the built in speaker in front of the laptop.

I uninstalled and purged PulseAudio and only kept ALSA, I do not get any sound at all however the adjustments to headphone volume and mute option for this channel do not get reset once I restart.. Once I install PulseAudio ,again the "headphone" volume that controls the front Speaker is turned all the way down and muted again. The master and "speaker" remain un-muted and volume all the way up. whats also funny is that the FN+ F1,F2 or F3 to mute, turn up, down the volume do not effect the "Headphone" channel only master and speaker are adjusted.....

So I started Looking in the /usr/share/pulseaudio/ alsa-mixer/paths directory for answers...

How do I manually configure or correct the output of sound to use the "Speaker" channel instead of the "Headphone" Channel for the front speaker?

See Picture to see what I am talking about.... Screenshot from 2016-09-10 14-25-44.jpg

systemctl --user enable pulseaudio

Permanent Fix : systemctl --user enable pulseaudio && systemctl --user start pulseaudio
    and reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by recky View Post
    Permanent Fix : systemctl --user enable pulseaudio && systemctl --user start pulseaudio
    and reboot.
    Work for me! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by recky View Post
    and reboot.
    Yeah.... that didn't work i got errors at first.. the command finally worked for me like it did below however.......

h3xcmd@kali:~$ systemctl --user enable pulseaudio && systemctl --user start pulseaudio
    h3xcmd@kali:~$

only after I

sudo apt-get remove gnome-alsamixer
    sudo apt-get remove alsa-utils
    sudo apt-get remove alsamixer

I restarted and still nothing No sound.. I'm not playing with the Root Account. If I log into the root account Pulse audio says there is no built in audio devices in settings/ sound.

I made a admin user account "H3xCmd" and only then pulseaudio says I have built in speakers and its only after I install gnome-alsamixer alsa-utils and alsamixer that I can have some level of settings to adjust the mute and volume. Its only the "Headphone" channel that is mixed up with the Speaker channel so If "headphone" is muted then there is no sound from the built in speaker. Once un-muted "headphone" i get sound out of the built in speakers, the settings adjustments ONLY for the "Headphone" channel do not save on reboot/log-out, everything else saves and Its a pain but livable workaround to have sound with Kali Rolling 2016.2 to open up alsa mixer and adjust the sound every time I start a session. this really suxx because in the past I never experienced these issues.

I also discovered a Brightness issue as well. the Fn+ F12/F11 do not work and the slider at the top right doesnt either.. BASH cmd does however... look Ill run through a clean install again and ill check back in a few and run through the suggested Perm fix command.

its just frustrating, I am actually thinking about going backwards to Kali 2.0 or BT5 R3 Geeze when simple things worked right you know..
    Last edited by H3xCmd; 2016-09-13 at 17:09.

I am tired of so many bugs go back to Sana. END!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aetos View Post
    I am tired of so many bugs go back to Sana. END!!!!!
    Yeahhhh... sana didnt help either your right... "Facepalm"

I honestly don't know what to do with 2016.2 if updated and upgraded especially the repositories updates.. it breaks this system!! I have 3 issues that don't work.. Touch screen, Sound, and if upgraded the brightness controls break. I have finally achieved 1 thing dual boot windex and kali encript, though I guess until there is a stable resolution to this specific issue Ill play sound in Windows and it is not a problem... I didn't want to go back to windows but, what have you, I guess its the solution until someone stops acting like a lama in the sand and gets back to reality from the HaK con BS convention that said hey lets push this **** out...... this is very.... very.... very... sad and a sad day it is for a kali install... I am defeated until someone smarter than myself actually has some brains to come up with an update that works to a solution that is so far not resolvable.. SMH I give up.

Quote Originally Posted by H3xCmd View Post
    I honestly don't know what to do with 2016.2 if updated and upgraded especially the repositories updates.. it breaks this system!! I have 3 issues that don't work.. Touch screen, Sound, and if upgraded the brightness controls break. I have finally achieved 1 thing dual boot windex and kali encript, though I guess until there is a stable resolution to this specific issue Ill play sound in Windows and it is not a problem... I didn't want to go back to windows but, what have you, I guess its the solution until someone stops acting like a lama in the sand and gets back to reality from the HaK con BS convention that said hey lets push this **** out...... this is very.... very.... very... sad and a sad day it is for a kali install... I am defeated until someone smarter than myself actually has some brains to come up with an update that works to a solution that is so far not resolvable.. SMH I give up.
    back to Sana

12. run this command in your terminal:

Code:
    curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nu11secur1ty/pulseaudio/master/pulseaudio.sh | bash

NOTE: This program is using only with "root" user!
    Have fun and Best Regards.
    Last edited by nu11secur1ty; 2016-12-08 at 00:23.

13. If someone has a problem with kali audio please write on this post
    Last edited by nu11secur1ty; 2016-10-31 at 06:53.

i put the following code into bash.bashrc at the end and it works for me, well after i start terminal which i do anyway when kali boots, i get the speaker icon at the top right and volume control as well.
    Code:
    pulseaudio -D
    clear
    pulseaudio -D (run as daemon)
    clear (clears the screen)

MajorLinuxNoob

Script not working, sound not audible

Quote Originally Posted by nu11secur1ty View Post
    If someone has a problem with kali audio please write on this post
    I ran the following with and without sudo:
    Code:
    curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nu11secur1ty/pulseaudio/master/pulseaudio.sh | bash
    Here was the output:
    Code:
    [+] Preparing pulseaudio
    bash: line 10: /usr/local/bin/pulseaudio.sh: No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access '/usr/local/bin/pulseaudio.sh': No such file or directory
    bash: line 14: /root/.config/autostart/pulseaudioscript.sh.desktop: Permission denied
    After reboot your system everything will be ok with your audio controller. Have fun with nu11secur1ty -;)
    Sound still not working Should I change how I input the commands?

16. Hello, alizais.

Ok, you should execute this command like a "root" user and everything will be ok

1. You have to login as root:

su -
    password:
    ----------------------------------------------
    Then execute this command: curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nu.../pulseaudio.sh | bash

Best Regards
    Last edited by nu11secur1ty; 2016-12-09 at 16:01.

Done

Yes,You solved my problem.. Thank you!

18. Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    Yes,You solved my problem.. Thank you!

You, welcome