Thread: Kali Linux doesn't boot anymore, doesn't get past boot service status messages

Kali Linux doesn't boot anymore, doesn't get past boot service status messages

Hello everyone, this is my first post on a thread ever. Usually I have always been able to fix my issues myself, but this one really has me stumped. So I'm on a late 2011 27 inch iMac. I dual boot Mac OS el capitan and Kali 2.0. I have been using kali for quite a while now, with no issues.

Yesterday however, I was working on a C project, using CLion, and after I built the project, and the executable file was saved, the system began to be really slow and laggy. A little while after I tried figuring out what had happened and why everything was so slow, a message came up telling me that my filesystem root has 0 bytes of space left.

The system was running so slow, that it was just painful to use, so I figured I'd reboot and just use terminal to clean up some files and free up space. I rebooted the machine, but decided to see if I log back in, how slow my computer would be and whether it was just a fluke.

However, I could now not get past a certain point during the startup messages letting me know all services are starting up ok. It hangs on after the ok message for started update utmp about system runlevel changes. I tried pressing alt + f2 to log in just using terminal, and found that it's actually putting out loads of gnome-shell messages about int3 errors.

After a while, it stops, and I can log in into terminal, but that's it, it doesn't graphically boot. I deleted some files and some old gz log files that were taking up space, freed about 5 GBs, but the df command still lists my root installation dev/sda4 as 100% used. Freeing up the space didn't do anything, I still get the same error. I can provide any more information if required, I just want to get this fixed ASAP. Thank you all for your patience and reading through this wall of text.

Solution....

Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopsFam View Post
    However, I could now not get past a certain point during the startup messages letting me know all services are starting up ok. It hangs on after the ok message for started update utmp about system runlevel changes. I tried pressing alt + f2 to log in just using terminal, and found that it's actually putting out loads of gnome-shell messages about int3 errors.
    What I did was the following:

use alt+f2 and login into a separate terminal session

remove gnome with
    sudo apt-get autoremove gnome-core gnome-shell gnome-session

reinstall it
    sudo apt-get install gnome-core gnome-shell gnome-session

reboot

for me this worked... actually as xrdp doesn't work with gnome i moved to another window manager later

To free up some space you should do :

apt-get clean && apt-get clean cache
    You will free up 1 or 2G bytes of space .

I do CRTL + ALT + F5 to F8 to get a shell console . See if that works for you .

After a while, it stops, and I can log in into terminal, but that's it, it doesn't graphically boot.
    Last time i had that a similar issue it was the graphic card drivers , i downloaded the graphic card drivers and i run the setup and it worked fine after that .
    If during the setup your system gets lagged , then stop gnome services by writing "/etc/init.d/gdm3 stop" , then fix the problem and start again gdm3 by writing "/etc/init.d/gdm3 start"