Thread: Crunch Wordlists

Red face Crunch Wordlists

Crunch generates about 1750GB wordlist file for lower or uppercase A-Z 8 characters.

The question I have is:
    If i use a "pipe | " to save the space and run Reaver / Pyrit through the crunch, it will take about a week to crack 8 character WPA2 password.

but if I actually save both lower and uppercase generated files (about 3600GB) and then crack through these wordlist files, would it save any time or it would still take the same time.

Also please mention, which package is better to crack the WPA2 Handshake file.

Thanks (*sorry for my bad english *)

reaver has nothing to do with WPA crack (it is for WPS brute force and that works totaly diferently)
    diccionary crack is a little faster than cracking with pipe (you do not spend resources to generate passphrase)

Hello! What's your nationality?!
    To answer your question according to my practice.
    Almost the same time. I did a test with a Wordlist saved in a text file and then direct mode using the pipe "|", and the time difference was just under 1 hour.

so it will save about 20% of the total time with dictionary attack?
    and thanks for your reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcdtv View Post
    reaver has nothing to do with WPA crack (it is for WPS brute force and that works totaly diferently)
    diccionary crack is a little faster than cracking with pipe (you do not spend resources to generate passphrase)

To kiddie

The use of a pipe versus a pre-computed word list is a matter of storage space.

1. It is always faster to use a pre-computed word list, as a pipe uses computer resources to first generate the word to test and then test it, while with a pre-computed word list the computer just tests the word or string no word generation is required.

2. The use of pre-computed word lists always encounters storage problems.

Most WPA keys are numeric strings 8 to 10 in length or alterations of a word used in human language. When comparing reaver cracked WPA keys we have found few real random WPA keys. Reaver obtained statistical data of WPA key selections is not influenced by the complexity of the WPA key.

You can use john in a pipe to expand the coverage of a word list. There are threads in these forums from Musket Teams showing you how to do this.

Run your numeric strings 8 to 10 in length then pick a word list and try that with john.
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2016-09-18 at 04:12.

Thank you and actually thats my question, I am actually willing to save pre-computed word-list on about 4TB drive. do you think it would save me a huge amount of time for trying next crack?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmusket33 View Post
    To kiddie

The use of a pipe versus a pre-computed word list is a matter of storage space.

1. It is always faster to use a pre-computed word list, as a pipe uses computer resources to first generate the word to test and then test it, while with a pre-computed word list the computer just tests the word or string no word generation is required.

2. The use of pre-computed word lists always encounters storage problems.

Most WPA keys are numeric strings 8 to 10 in length or alterations of a word used in human language. When comparing reaver cracked WPA keys we have found few real random WPA keys. Reaver obtained statistical data of WPA key selections is not influenced by the complexity of the WPA key.

You can use john in a pipe to expand the coverage of a word list. There are threads in these forums from Musket Teams showing you how to do this.

Run your numeric strings 8 to 10 in length then pick a word list and try that with john.

MTeams is unsure if using a usb drive would slow the process. We have only used usb drives to hold pmk. But pmk generation against a specific essid should only be done if the essid has historically never changed while the WPA key is changed frequently.

Others in these forums may have some experience with using a usb drive in a passthru. You could break the files down into smaller sizes and transfer them over to your harddrive as you work thru them.

MTeams

I ran hashcat with ?d?d?d?d?d?d?d?d?d?d and then ran hashcat against a crunch-created .lst of 10 digits. They both took 17 hours with a 980 gpu. I suspect that passthrough only really slows you down a lot if you are using your cpu only.

Quote Originally Posted by mmusket33 View Post
    MTeams is unsure if using a usb drive would slow the process. We have only used usb drives to hold pmk. But pmk generation against a specific essid should only be done if the essid has historically never changed while the WPA key is changed frequently.

Others in these forums may have some experience with using a usb drive in a passthru. You could break the files down into smaller sizes and transfer them over to your harddrive as you work thru them.

MTeams
    The throughput speed to read/write/access anything via usb will substantially slow down processing almost anything. Even passthru to a 10/100 network shared connection.