Thread: NVIDIA woes, black screen after installing proprietary NVIDIA drivers on a gtx 760

NVIDIA woes, black screen after installing proprietary NVIDIA drivers on a gtx 760

Evening

I have a a black screen after installing the proprietary NVIDIA graphics for my GTX 760.

Did:
    - apt-get update
    - apt-get dist-upgrade
    - rebooted
    - booted back up
    - apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    - installed nvidia drivers (the web ones provided by their website)
    - blacklisted nouveau with sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub
    - update-grub

rebooted black screen before GDM3

thought to myself, it may be the display manager.

chrooted into the install
    - apt-get install lightdm
    - selected lightdm as default display manager
    - rebooted

tried to boot kali again
    same black screen before the display manager

Can't switch to any tty, sometimes white text flashes in the top left of the screen, as if it's trying to load the display manager but to no avail.

also tried using backports instead of using the drivers from nvidia website same problem.

I find it amazing that Debian and bunsenlabs (which is based on debian) works absolutely fine using jessie-backports, but kali linux shits itself (as always), I was also able to use the web drivers on debian they worked fine.

debian the web drivers work and so do the jessie-backports.
    bunsenlabs the jessie backports work, and (even though i didn't test it) i am going to assume that the web ones do work as well.
    Kali nothing works.

Don't know what else to do, no error that i can spot through journalctl -xb on recovery mode.

Can anyone with nvidia gpu (or anyone that has an idea for that matter) shed a light on the issue, nvidia driver working on every single linux distribution i run on this pc except kali.

EDIT:

Did another install this time following the kali wiki, so no jessie-backports, same exact outcome, does not work.

I decided to ditch Kali, and move over to another distro, too tired of dealing with broken dist-upgrades, broken drivers, and things not working.
    Installed another security distro, did an apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade, installed the gpu driver everything is working fine, no black screens.

still thank you for the fish kali team
    Last edited by Grimmjow69; 2016-09-19 at 11:13.

Hello grimm, Kali is awesome for what it does well, but cudahashcat doesn't seem to be possible at present. See kl0n's text here:
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ll=1#post62778
    May I ask, what other security distro did you find that can run an Nvidia GPU?