Thread: NetHunter on Nexus 7 2012 USB OTG not working at all

NetHunter on Nexus 7 2012 USB OTG not working at all

Hi, i recently bought a used nexus 7 just to put nethunter on it, after some struggle with poorly written guides, i managed to get the nethunter working on it, however after i bought the USB Y OTG cable, it doesn't recognize any usb devices at all.

I tried a simple USB memory stick, no go.
    tried TL-WN722N wifi adapter (which works great on my netbook) and also tried TurboTenna (it uses same chipset as AWUS036NH, which is rt2800usb).
    I'm using external power bank to power the usb device, on the turbotenna the light turns on, however on WN722N the light won't even turn on, none of this matters as they're not being detected by my nexus 7.

i read that you should check with lsusb, but it doesn't work, it gives me this:
    Code:
    libudev: udev_has_devtmpfs: name_to_handle_at on /dev: Function not implemented
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    I see this message regardless of if i have any usb devices plugged in or not, it's ever the same, no change.

obviously my device is unlocked and rooted, otherwise it would be impossible to install nethunter anyway. I used MultiROM method to install nethunter as secondary OS, then i swapped it so it's primary ROM now. USB debugging is also on.

any help please?

EDIT:
    I think i have a poopy OTG cable, it seems like that it either connects the wifi adapter to my tablet OR it gives power to the wifi adapter, but it doesn't seem to do both, can someone confirm or decline if WN722N or AWUS036NH works without the external power supply, because like i said, my OTG cable seem to be poopy.

If i insert the WN722N to tablet without power, the light DOES turn on, light also turns on on the AWUS036NH, however they don't show up in airmon. both show in lsusb, but not in airmon.

someone please help. i'd really like to get my nethunter project working. thanks
    Last edited by mordax; 2016-09-22 at 07:53. Reason: added info

Were you able to get it working? I just installed nethunter on my nexus 7 2012 edition and it wont detect any usb adapters (panda wifi adapter or usb storage)

Quote Originally Posted by sud0 View Post
    Were you able to get it working? I just installed nethunter on my nexus 7 2012 edition and it wont detect any usb adapters (panda wifi adapter or usb storage)

UPDATE:
    I was able to get mine working, however my panda rt5372 isn't listed in airmon-ng but it's listed in lsusb. Also inserting the rt5372 sometimes causes my tablet to reboot/crash.

I was able to successfully use alfa network awus036nh. I am on 5.1.1 lollipop , nexus 7 grouper wifi hw
    Last edited by maiki; 2017-02-22 at 11:05. Reason: Merge posts

Quote Originally Posted by sud0 View Post
    I was able to get mine working, however my panda rt5372 isn't listed in airmon-ng but it's listed in lsusb. Also inserting the rt5372 sometimes causes my tablet to reboot/crash.

I was able to successfully use alfa network awus036nh. I am on 5.1.1 lollipop , nexus 7 grouper wifi hw
    What exactly did you do to get it working? Mine's still not working and it seems like nobody knows nothing

I had a very similar issue with mine. Every time i plugged in my otg cable it would freeze and/or reboot my device. I knew the cable and card were good because they work for nethunter on my shield tablet. I opened up my devices and saw that the inside ribbon for the usb port was all black and the port seemed loose. i tightened it and was able to get it to power my card a couple times but not recognize it. I ended up having to install a new charging port. Even with the new port it wouldnt recognize my wifif card at first but i new it was getting power and it was showing up in usb-devices. i did ip link set wlan1 up and rebooted my device with the card still plugged in. it then recognized it. Also i did not use multirom for my nethunter installation. How i did it was i wiped everything, system,caches,data and even internal data. i then did a clean flash back to stock 5.1 then installed twrp, rooted, and finally nethunter with the aroma installer. I tried to install over my existing custom roms with root but kept getting issues a clean install was the way to go for me. Also to get my y cable to charge my device and power my card i go into nethunter services turn on y cable charging I then plug in the power to the y cable and then the y cable to the nexus without the card. After the tablet shows charging i then plug in the card. Has worked everytime for me. i have nethunter installed on my shield so I recently put pwn pad on my nexus grouper and havent been able to get it to recognize my card which is an older off brand but works with nethunter if anyone has any experience with pwn pad i would appreciate any help. If you cant get it working id be happy to help you as much as im able good luck
    ~FReEDumB~