Thread: How do I disable nouveau (in favor of NVIDIA drivers) in a multiboot installation?

How do I disable nouveau (in favor of NVIDIA drivers) in a multiboot installation?

I installed Kali 2016.2 on a Dell laptop, and followed this guide to install proprietary NVIDIA drivers in order to use cuda:

http://docs.kali.org/general-use/ins...-on-kali-linux

But I have a problem at the step where it tells me to disable the nouveau driver:

Code:
    sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub
    Problem is that I have a multiboot setup. I don't want to disable the nouveau driver for the other distros. How do I disable nouveau only for Kali?

Apart from that, I see from other threads in this forum that there are many who have problems with getting NVIDIA to work in Kali 2016.2, and the white "Something went wrong" screen they describe is the same I get when I try to boot Kali without nouveau manually by writing the parameters into grub (I write nouveau.modeset=0 on the line with vmlinuz ... and then resume boot with F10).

If it likely that developers will come up with a solution, or is it better to install cuda tools by following the instructions from the NVIDIA website? Any ideas?
    Last edited by 8v304; 2016-09-22 at 13:25.

AFAICT, no one has gotten cudahashcat to work under the new Kali. Look at kl0n's answer:
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ll=1#post62778

That's strange. Don't the developers of Kali want users to have access to these programs? I found out that I can run cudaHashcat in windows, but pyrit isn't available for windows, AFAIK.

Maybe better to switch to another distro, like Arch Linux, which has really good documentation for hardware configuration issues including NVIDIA.

Well, Kali is awesome, like no other distro, but it doesn't do EVERYTHING. I myself like Linux Mint but to get hashcat running under Mint I'd have to jump through tons of hoops getting all needed dependencies. What a pain. lol